Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nicholas Reeves : The Burial of Nefertiti? (2015)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Nicholas Reeves : The Burial of Nefertiti? (2015) Reply with quote

Nicholas Reeves : The Burial of Nefertiti? (2015) :

Quote:
"ABSTRACT

Recently published, high-resolution scans of the walls of room J (the Burial Chamber) of Valley of the Kings tomb KV 62 (Tutankhamun) reveal, beneath the plastered surfaces of the painted scenes, distinct linear traces. These are here mapped, discussed, and tentatively identified as the "ghosts" of two hitherto unrecognized doorways.

It is argued that these doorways give access to: (1) a still unexplored storage chamber on the west of room J, seemingly contemporary with the stocking of Tutankhamun`s burial; and (2) a pre-Tutankhamun continuation of KV 62 towards the north, containing the undisturbed burial of the tomb`s original owner - Nefertiti."

Greetings, Lutz.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing Lutz

This hypothesis can also explain Ankhkheperure's artifacts among Tut's burial paraphernalia.

Cheers
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to believe that at some point the walls highlighted in the article haven't been investigated for additional chambers but it's certainly worth checking.

I don't buy the idea that the wall paintings were originally of Neferneferuaten and Tutankhamun though, I think that is stretching the evidence too far.

Let's hope, now that more excavations are due to happen that more evidence is found. Hawass never did get to publish the findings of the 2009/10 (?) work in the VoK did he?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
... Hawass never did get to publish the findings of the 2009/10 (?) work in the VoK did he?

Zahi Hawass [with Sherif Abdel-Monaem and Afifi Rohim Afifi] : Preliminary Report of the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) Excavation in the Valley of the Kings (2007-2008). - In: FS Weeks. - 2010. - pp. 57 - 84.

Zahi Hawass : Visions of the Past - New Discoveries in Ancient Thebes. - In: Horus 28.5 / 10-11. - 2010. - pp. 24 - 26. - (For the results of the work in KV 17 - Seti I.).

Afifi Rohim Afifi / Glen Dash : An Excavation and Geophysical Survey in the Central Valley of the Kings. - In: Current Research in Egyptology 2013. - Oxford : Oxbow Books, 2014. - pp. 1 - 10.

Afifi Rohim Afifi / Glen Dash : The Discovery of Intact Foundation Deposits in the Western Valley of the Valley of the Kings. - In: Current Research in Egyptology 2014. - Oxford : Oxbow Books, 2015. - pp. 1 - 12.

Greetings, Lutz.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:

I don't buy the idea that the wall paintings were originally of Neferneferuaten and Tutankhamun though, I think that is stretching the evidence too far.

Well, it can explain why "Ay" is depicted as Pharaoh while he is peforming the mouth opening ritual. It is quite more plausible to believe that Tutankhamon was acting as Junior Pharaoh to Neferneferuaten than to Ay doing the same to Tutankhamon.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this all the way through, sat back and took several deep breaths and began thinking is there anything obviously wrong with what Reeves suggests. Admittedly there are aspects beyond my competance so I have to take some of what he writes at face value, but I see nothing obvious that sticks out and shouts "false alarm". Read it through again, slowly, looking at all the references, and I think he may be correct at least in that there are two further chambers in KV62. I wait to see if experts can seriously knock Reeves before getting over excited, but the possibility of two so far unknown chambers existing in KV62, no matter what they may contain, is excitement enough. The possibility of an untouched full pharaonic burial of Nefertiti is simply mind blowing. I wonder if Reeves can convince SCA to investigate, let's hope so.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, if at all possible, I hope that they do look into his paper. Surely there are ways to test his theory without damaging the paintings?

The thought of Neferneferuaten being found would also raise interesting questions about the Younger Lady in KV35.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps some investigation where the floor meets the wall at the two possible door locations. Then if evidence can be seen that there is a strong possibility of there being a door, maybe a small hole drilled through the floor at a shallow angle as presumably the floor level in any possible side chambers, or passage/steps, could be lower than the floor level of the burial chamber and a void would be discovered and an endoscope would quickly show what lies behind. But vibration of a drill would perhaps be unacceptable, and the sarcophagus may be an obstacle for a drill at such a shallow angle, but this is way in the future, if at all. Though if this idea flies then somebody is going to have to make tough descisions, and if there are doors then part of the wall will have to be removed as I cannot see any possibility of leaving sealed doors in KV62 unexplored.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
karnsculpture wrote:

Well, it can explain why "Ay" is depicted as Pharaoh while he is peforming the mouth opening ritual. It is quite more plausible to believe that Tutankhamon was acting as Junior Pharaoh to Neferneferuaten than to Ay doing the same to Tutankhamon.

Not sure if this is on point, but there are several inscriptions by Ay in the remains of Tutankhamun's mortuary temple in which he refers to Tutankhamun as his "son," so he's definitely pursuing the idea that he is a legitimate successor by familial association. Considering he retains the title of /it nTr/, "father of the god," throughout his reign, Ay appears to use a form of hereditary succession to justify his assumption of the throne.

Best references on point:

Kawai, N. 2010. Ay vs. Horemheb: the Political Situation of the Late Eighteenth Dynasty Revisited. JEGH 3/2: 261-92.

Schaden, O. J. 1977. The God's Father, Ay. Ph.D. Dissertation (Unpublished), Department of History, University of Minnesota: Minneapolis.

___________. 2000. Paintings in the Tomb of King Ay. In D. C. Forbes, Ed. Amarna Letters: Essays on Ancient Egypt 1390-1310 B.C., 4: 88-111. Sebastapol: KMT Communications, Inc.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

evarelap
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing. Thank tou Lutz for keeping us up to date. The article was really good. Hopefully this issue about two additional rooms in KV62 is investigated soon enough. Imagine if Nefertiti's mummy is found inside the north room. That would be even an even greater discovery than KV62 was back in Carter's days.
evarelap
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing. Thank tou Lutz for keeping us up to date. The article was really good. Hopefully this issue about two additional rooms in KV62 is investigated soon enough. Imagine if Nefertiti's mummy is found inside the north room. That would be even an even greater discovery than KV62 was back in Carter's days.
burlgirl
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Reeves is right, but I see why he might not be. If Nefertiti was buried with full pharonic regalia, and the gold mask, canopic stoppers and mini-coffins were hers, how could she be be buried behind the wall undisturbed (the wall having her figures on them and not broken through) if those items had been taken for Tut's burial? I guess Tut's administration could have plundered her grave goods before putting up the wall, but I had always had the impression that those grave goods were taken closer to Tut's own death.

It seems like you are having it both ways. I hope I'm seeing this wrong...

Thomas Jefferson
Naunacht
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool theory. If Nefertiti was found with her burial intact it would be the find of the century. Of course it could also be that there's a doorway there but the room it led to was never completed and was filled at the time of Tut's burial.
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burlgirl wrote:
I hope Reeves is right, but I see why he might not be. If Nefertiti was buried with full pharonic regalia, and the gold mask, canopic stoppers and mini-coffins were hers, how could she be be buried behind the wall undisturbed (the wall having her figures on them and not broken through) if those items had been taken for Tut's burial?

I think if Reeves' hypothesis could be proven, what is to found is maybe just a mummy cache just like that from KV35, and not a full regalia burial.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, possibly the princesses who disappear from the historical record after the reign of Akhenaten. It may explain KV63, and draw a line under a few things. I hope that the Egyptian authorities investigate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: