Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nicholas Reeves : The Burial of Nefertiti? (2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal_105
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fine line between been prudent and careful and miking it for all the publicity possible. I expect the latter will win out in the end. Nothing in Egypt is as simple as being attuned to scientific methods?
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the post above is a little harsh.

With the scan data out for peer review and having held the conference last week I don't see what else the Egyptian authorities can do. They may milk it for all the publicity possible but who can blame them? The tourist industry is in the doldrums and people are suffering. Then as I said above and Lutz agreed, working in the Valley at this time of year is neither a practical or appealing prospect.

No, let them get on with it at the pace that they deem necessary. We will be given any news as soon as it's available.

Lastly don't forget that this is an Egyptian tomb and the SCA bears a huge responsibility to both the country and the world. They dare not get this wrong.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A M Street wrote:
... With the scan data out for peer review and having held the conference last week I don't see what else the Egyptian authorities can do. ... Lastly don't forget that this is an Egyptian tomb and the SCA bears a huge responsibility to both the country and the world. ...

To this I would like to join. The sudden appear from "Indiana Jones for the Poor" on stage indicates, in my view, additional political problems for those responsible at the SCA in the moment.

I would not be surprised when in his next meaningless mainstream photo book the earlier usual dedication for Mrs. Susan Mubarak by one for President Abd al-Fattah Assisi substituted, appears...

Greetings, Lutz.
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawass sticking his nose into anything he can't claim to have discovered is never a good thing. But then again he will probably claim to have built KV62, so he knows what's there. And having national geographic do any work on something that clown doesn't believe is true is an insult to science.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Indiana-Jones-for-the-Poor" has published a longer article on the subject:

"Is Nefertiti buried in the tomb of Tutankhamun?" (Al-Ahram Weekly 1296 - Zahi Hawass, 19 May, 2016)

Who also only fragmented reminds to practices and procedures in the time this gentleman had call the shots, can, in my opinion, probably only shake his head at so much hypocrisy and arrogance...

Greetings, Lutz.
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawass should stick to reading his press releases from National geographic s. His not found by me/under my supervision attitude is harmful to any kind of scientific research. Hawass, your ass got fired, please crawl back under your rock. While you were a decent archeologist at one time, now you are just a legend in your own mind at best.At worst, we'll let's say your a sad case of believing ones own pr.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the article, Hawass again uses this phrase

Quote:
We should note that it is also very unlikely that the priests of Amun would have allowed Nefertiti to be buried in the Valley of the Kings.

He often says this but never gives a reason, or at least not one I have read. Why would the priests of Amun not allow her to buried in the Valley of the Kings? At the time of her death and burial the Aten was still supreme, so I doubt the Amun priesthood would have had any say in the matter of how and where she was buried, no matter what they may have thought in private, and in any case, what power would the Amun preisthood have had over whoever was king, particulary at that time, zero I suspect. Is Hawass saying that she would not have been allowed to be buried in VoK because she was an "Atenist"? because if so, then, setting aside the disputes and presuming for the sake of argument that KV55 skeleton is Akhenaten, then that argument by Hawass is vapour, if that is his argument. The only other reason I can think of for what Hawass says, is that she should have been buried in Valley of Queens. If so, then how does he explain burial of Hatshepsut in VoK, or is he presuming that as she was "king", then that was okay, and that, in his opinion, as Nefertiti was only ever GRW, she was not eligable for her own royal tomb in VoK. But again, I find no reasoning for this, it is like Hawass has given answer on a mathematics test and not shown his workings.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

herper wrote:
While you [Hawass] were a decent archeologist at one time, now you are just a legend in your own mind at best.At worst, we'll let's say your (sic) a sad case of believing ones own pr.

I know many who, upon reading Hawass' published work, with its lack of viable citations, questionable methods, and/or self-serving comments, would disagree with the first statement, but none who would disagree with the second statement.

My .

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to be nice. I heard it was be kind to buffoons day. What's really sad is his ideas and beliefs are what a vast majority of people hear about AE. N.G.C. has done a huge disservice to Egyptology by portraiting Hawass as the Grand Poohbah of archeology. Time for him to retire, and go quietly into the desert night
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to be nice. I heard it was be kind to buffoons day. What's really sad is his ideas and beliefs are what a vast majority of people hear about AE. N.G.C. has done a huge disservice to Egyptology by portraiting Hawass as the Grand Poohbah of archeology. Time for him to retire, and go quietly into the desert night
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikon wrote:
In the article, Hawass again uses this phrase
Quote:
We should note that it is also very unlikely that the priests of Amun would have allowed Nefertiti to be buried in the Valley of the Kings.

He often says this but never gives a reason, or at least not one I have read. Why would the priests of Amun not allow her to buried in the Valley of the Kings? ...

I know neither from the theoretical nor from the practical Egyptology the slightest hint, that the Amun - priesthood from the 18th & 19th Dynasty even remotely had impact, who was buried in the Valley of the Kings. According to my state of knowledge, it is believed that the award of burial grounds was a royal privilege.

Besides that, Reeves theory involves the presumption that Nefertiti ruled as King with the throne and birth name "Ankhkheperura Neferneferuaten".
From the hieratic text in TT 139 - Pairi (a hymn to Amun), we know that there was a man named Pawah, who held the title "Scribe of devine offerings of Amun in the House of Ankhkheperura".

This can only mean that there was a "House for Million of Years" for King Ankhkheperura in Thebes, and that this temple was dedicated the memorial cult of the King and the God Amun (as also in all other known temples of this kind in Thebes usual). And, last but not least, every king with a memorial temple in Thebes had also a tomb there ...

Greetings, Lutz.
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawass is convinced that KV55 s mummy is Akenaton. If the Amon had any say overy who was buried in the Valley, he would have been the forbidden one
herper
Scribe
Scribe

Hawass is convinced that KV55 s mummy is Akenaton. If the Amon had any say overy who was buried in the Valley, he would have been the forbidden one
herper
Scribe
Scribe

herper
Scribe
Scribe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31

Jump to: