Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Salt Head" (Louvre) - linked to Amarna?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: "Salt Head" (Louvre) - linked to Amarna? Reply with quote

When I have visited the Louvre I have been captivated by the piece called "Salt Head" named because it was purchased from the collection of Henry Salt in 1826. It pre-dates a lot of Amarna finds but has a lot in common I would argue with the style of art created by the workshop of Tuthmose.

It is clearly of a non-Royal male but with facial similarities to known depictions of several Amarna persons, and I would speculate it may be a representation of Yuya or possibly Ay.

In relation to Yuya it resembles to an extent his mummy, and also the coffin he was found in (although the latter is so idealised it is almost abstract).

In relation to Ay I believe in profile it is extremely close to the representation of Ay in KV62. Are there any other inscribed representations of Ay's face surviving?

Are there any papers discussing this piece?

The photos below were taken by me in the Louvre:

[img]https://flic.kr/p/8nP4JH[/img]

[img]https://flic.kr/p/8nP4P2[/img]

[img]https://flic.kr/p/8nP4Wv[/img]
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Art on Stage - Musée du Louvre, Paris " (Louvre Auditorium - June 1, 2011)

Christophe Barbotin / Yvan Coquinot / Sandrine Pages : The "Salt Head" - A masterpiece of Middle Empire Egyptian sculpture. - In: Revue des Musees de France 62(1). - 2012. - pp. 34 - 45, 110 - 111 :
Quote:
This bust, known as the "Salt Head" and acquired by the Louvre in 1826, has always been the subject of numerous conjectures. A thorough study - carried out in 2011 and combining the techniques of the Laboratoire des Musées de France (C2RMF) with traditional methods of archaeological analysis - has now shown that the sculpture was not a bust but a piece of ancient restoration for the statue of a seated man and should henceforth be dated from the Middle Empire period. It has furthermore been established that this exceptional work underwent a second restoration in ancient times, around the 1 st century BC.

karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I have applied for the full text of the linked report.

I must confess that I first approached the head from behind and thought it was going to be one of the reconstructed heads of Tutankhamen. It is a very striking, lifelike piece. It was with pieces from the late 18th dynasty not the Middle Kingdom.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with "Old Kingdom" and "Forgery" (from my purely personal point of view, more likely than "Amarna"), this head was probably already located in every ancient Egyptian epoch:

Bust of bald-headed man ('Salt head'), temp. Amenophis IV or a little later, in Paris, Musée National du Louvre, N.2289 :

L. D. iii. 290 [15] (as Old Kingdom); Duranty in Gazette des Beaux-Arts 2e Pér. xvii (1878) [1], fig. on 229 (as Old Kingdom and from the Serapeum); Maspero in Rayet, O. Monuments de l'art antique Livraison I, pl. xiv with pp. 1-4 (as Dyn. IV-V); id. Essais 39-43 pl. i; id. Eg. Art 49-54 pl. facing 50 (both as Dyn. IV or V); id. Égypte 88 fig. 157 (as Old Kingdom); Perrot and Chipiez, Hist. de l'Art i, 644, 646 fig. 432 (as Old Kingdom); Bénédite in Revue de l'art ancien et moderne xliii (1923), 165 fig. 2 (as Dyn. IV); Richer, Le Nu 66 fig. 63 (as Old Kingdom); Boreux, L'Art ég. 20 pl. xxii; id. Guide ii, 444 pl. lix [right]; id. Sculpture pl. vii (all as Dyn. IV); Capart, Documents i, 10-11 pls. 11, 12 (as Old Kingdom); id. Limites 40 pl. iii [2] (from Rayet); Encycl. phot. Louvre pls. 12-15 (as Dyn. IV); Pavlov, Skul'pturni portret 18-19 pl. facing 16 (as first half of Dyn. IV); Donadoni in La Critica d'Arte ii (1937), 155 Tav. 118 [5, 6] = id. Cultura dell'Antico Egitto 331 Tav. 118 [5, 6] on 335 (as Dyn. IV); Desroches, L'Art égyptien au Musée du Louvre (1941), fig. on 8th p. [upper right] (as Dyn. IV); Desroches Noblecourt, Ancient Egypt [etc.], pp. xiii-xiv pl. 24 (as end of Dyn. XVIII); Pijoán, Summa Artis iii (1945), 127 pl. vi fig. 163 (as Dyn. IV); Smith, Hist. Eg. Sculp. 39-40 pl. 15 [b, c] (as early Dyn. V); Vandier, Guide (1948), 39 [10] pl. ix [2]; (1952), 39-40 [10] pl. ix [2]; (1973), 74-5 pl. ix; id. Eg. Sculpture pl. 8 (all as Dyn. IV or beginning of Dyn. V); id. Sculpture ... Louvre 5th pl. (as Dyn. V); id. Manuel iii, 573 pl. xv [1, 3, 4] (as Dyn. IV or beginning of Dyn. V); Charbonneaux, Les Merveilles du Louvre i, pls. on 62-3 (as end of Dyn. XVIII); Michalowski, Art fig. 213 (as early Dyn. V); id. Égypte fig. on 98 (as Dyn. V); Shurinova, R. Iskusstvo Drevnego Egipta pl. 44 (as Dyn. IV); Suzuki, Sculpture pl. 44 (as Dyn. V); Maruejol, F. in Guillais, S.-C. (ed.), L'Art du monde au Musée du Louvre. L'Orient ancien et l'Égypte fig. on 155 [left] (as end of Dyn. XVIII); Kanawaty in Mémoires d'Égypte. Hommage de l'Europe à Champollion fig. on 154; Bothmer in Berman, The Art of Amenhotep III: Art Historical Analysis 86, 90 fig. 9 on pl. 21; Archives phot. E.538 B. See Müller-Feldmann in ZÄS 74 (1938), 132-6 (as temp. Amenophis IV); von Bissing in ib. 75 (1939), 132-3 (as early Dyn. XIX); Vandersleyen in BSFÉ 73 (1975), 24 (as temp. Amenophis IV). (Selected references.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: