Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why we do not use real Egyptian names?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rudra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Why we do not use real Egyptian names? Reply with quote

Abydos was Abedju
Busiris was Djedu
Anubis was Anpu/Inpw
Memphis was Men.Nefer
Cheops/Kheops was Khufu
Chepren/Khafren was Khafra

Why do we continue using Greek terms for Ancient Egyptian names?
Mennefer
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most knowledge of ancient Egypt has come down to us through Greek writers e.g. Herodotos, before the decipherment of hieroglyphs. So the ancient Greek forms have stuck due to tradition. Also, the reconstructed Egyptian names e.g. "Djedu" or "Khafra" from ḏdw and Ḫˁj=f Rˁ is not necessarily closer to the actual ancient Egyptian pronunciation that their Greek versions.

But the same is true for virtually all place names: Zhōngguˇ is known as China in English, Nippon/Nihon becomes Japan, G÷teborg becomes Gothenburg etc.
Rudra
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mennefer,

Thank you for your reply. You are correct that we do not know the actual pronunciation of the names but we are close to actual but not really Smile We still ponder if it is RaDjedef or DjedefeRa and similarly if it is RaKhaf or KhafRa.

By the way, how did you get those transliteration symbols?
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am in need of characters or letters from another language I usually google search the name of the letter or character, then it turns up on the search and I copy paste it to where I need it.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some people in various traditions of study that do use the original names. There are some translations of various works by Sehu Khepera Ankh that he uses the original names transliterated as closely as possible. Some of the works translated are the Shabaka stone, and the Har Khebi sarcophagus. I have not personally read the works, but I have listened to Sehu Khepera Ankh give talks, and he uses the original names, like Nebedjer for Nephyths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: