Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Peruvian Civilization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Ancient Peruvian Civilization Reply with quote

Noticed this on BBC news. It's interesting that the Peruvian civilization is this old. 3000-1800 B.C covers roughly the Old Kingdom and the First Intermediate Period in Egypt.

This is the original article

Quote:
An ancient civilisation was flourishing in Peru over 5,000 years ago, making it the oldest known complex society in the Americas, Nature magazine has reported.

Archaeologists used radiocarbon dating to chart the rise and fall of the little known culture, which reigned over three valleys north of Lima.

The society, whose heyday ran from 3000 to 1800BC, built ceremonial pyramids and complex irrigation systems.

The find casts doubt on the idea that Andean civilisation began by the sea.

"The scale and sophistication of these sites is unheard of anywhere in the New World at this time," said Jonathan Haas, MacArthur Curator of Anthropology at the Field Museum, Chicago.

"The cultural pattern that emerged in this small area in the third millennium BC later established a foundation for 4,000 years of cultural florescence in other parts of the Andes."

The civilisation, which was characterised by stone pyramids, large ceremonial structures and agriculture, spread over three windy valleys in the Norte Chico region of Peru.

There were about 20 separate residential centres, which seemed to compete with each other to produce the most imposing architecture - some creating buildings as high as 26m (85ft).

They may even have had religion, the researchers believe.

"They probably did have organised religion," said co-author Winifred Creamer, a Northern Illinois University (NIU) anthropologist. "Objects have been yielded which do point to religion, like anthropomorphic figurines."

Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness that is interesting - I had always thought that the Peruvian culture was 'younger' than that.
Its great that science is bringing new information like that to us all the time - just as the dates of Egyptian civilisation is being pushed back further in time, it's happening for Peru too.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a documentary aaaages ago about the ancient Peruvian pyramids that predate the Incas, and apparently, i'm really not sure if this is true, but the Peruvian pyramids may be older than the Egyptian ones!! But they were probably for a different use than the Egyptian ones-I think the pyramids of South and Central American peoples were used for grisly human sacrifices?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it interesting as well that these finds are so old. Like Sesen I always thought that the South American cicilization was much "younger"

The article mentions that they don't know what kind of religious beliefs these people had. I think the "grisly sacrifices" Isis mentions are from a much later period. It may of course be that this also happened at this site, but the function of the pyramids is not really known in this case (I think).
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot pyramid like structures in this one site I went to in Peru called Caral. It looks like it is modeled after the mayan or aztec site called teotihuacan. These pyramids were more of ceremonial sites. I haven't heard of any human sacrifices in Peru though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: