Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Translation for Papyrus for ani: weighing of the heart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unforgiven
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Translation for Papyrus for ani: weighing of the heart Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and need your help, because i can't find the accurate translation for this hieroglyphs. So if any of you people know the correct translation in english of the hieroglyphs written in this papyrus and if possible also written in hieroglyphic language that looks better than on the picture, that would be awesome.

Here is the picture:

Best regards to all of you, Miha.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eva Von Dassow [ed.] : The Egyptian Book of the Dead - The Book of Going Forth by Day, being the Papyrus of Ani (Royal Scribe of Divine Offerings), written and illustrated circa 1250 BCE, by scribes and artists unknown, including the balance of chapters of the Book of the Dead known as the Theban recension, compiled from ancient texts, dating back to the roots of Egyptian civilization. - [Translated by Raymond O. Faulkner and Ogden Goelet Jr.]. - San Francisco : Chronicle Books, 1994. - ISBN : 0811807673; 0811807924. - 176 p., colour ill.
Quote:
Contributor statement: "Translated by Raymond O. Faulkner, with additional translations and a commentary by Ogden Goelet Jr., with color illustrations from the facsimile volume produced in 1890 under the supervision of E. A. Wallis Budge, introduced by Carol A. R. Andrews, edited by Eva Von Dassow, in an edition by James Wassermann."

This book reproduces the facsimile plates of Budge's 1890 edition of the papyrus of Ani along with a translation. A Foreword by James Wasserman and a Preface by Carol A. R. Andrews are followed by an Introduction by Ogden Goelet. The main part of the book consists of Budge's facsimile plates with translations of the corresponding texts taken from Faulkner's translation of the Book of the Dead (see OEB 1972.0222 and 1985.0463). Where necessary this is supplemented by translations by Goelet. The next section presents Faulkner's translation of the chapters which do not appear in the papyrus of Ani. This is followed by a Commentary by Goelet, consisting of two parts: an explanation of the aspects of Egyptian religion which apply to the Book of the Dead, and a running commentary on the text and vignettes of the Ani papyrus.

At the end of the book are a selected bibliography and a glossary of common terms and concepts.

A new printing of this book appeared in 2008 : Chicago; London : KWS, ISBN 9780981773605.

(From the "Online Egyptological Bibliography" - OEB 38230.)

Greetings, Lutz.
unforgiven
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much!

https://books.google.si/books?id=La9K8fp-BcMC&lpg=PP1&hl=sl&pg=PA24#v=onepage&q&f=false

i found that book online, but i'm not sure where does the chapter begins and ends, i thought that the text inside the weighing scene is divided by the vertical lines to the bottom from left and right side, so do you maybe know which are the starting words and ending words from the weighing scene text?
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unforgiven wrote:
thank you very much!

https://books.google.si/books?id=La9K8fp-BcMC&lpg=PP1&hl=sl&pg=PA24#v=onepage&q&f=false

i found that book online, but i'm not sure where does the chapter begins and ends, i thought that the text inside the weighing scene is divided by the vertical lines to the bottom from left and right side, so do you maybe know which are the starting words and ending words from the weighing scene text?

In the earlier copies of Faulkner's work (1994), the scene of the weighing of the heart is on Plates 3 and 4 of the published work: usually translations are nearby (it should be close to Spell 125 (Negative Confession)).

I don't have my copy at hand, but this is what I could see from the Amazon UK version of the 1994 version.

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

unforgiven
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find this book anywhere on the internet :/ but thank you for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: