Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dodson : The Canopic Equipment of the Kings of Egypt (2016)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Dodson : The Canopic Equipment of the Kings of Egypt (2016) Reply with quote

Aidan Dodson : The Canopic Equipment of the Kings of Egypt. - [Studies in Egyptology]. - London / New York: Kegan Paul International, 1994. - ISBN : 0710304609; 9780710304605. - XXII, 215 p., 9 figs, 48 pls [plans, ills].

... was reissued as a comparatively low-priced paperback edition in 2016 and is available at the moment for less than $ 50,- / 40,- (used) / 12,- (Kindle) : Amazon.com .

Quote:
With contributions by Otto J. Schaden, Edwin C. Brock and Mark Collier.

In the introduction the author first explains the use of the term "Canopic" by the Greeks in connection with the Egyptian jars containing the embalmed internal organs of a deceased, i.e. the liver, lungs, stomach and intestines. Each organ was traditionally identified with one of the four "Sons of Horus," respectively Imseti, Hapy, Duamutef and Qebehsenuef. The heart, and sometimes the kidneys, were left in the body. Where the brain was also removed, no attempt was made to preserve it, since the methods employed for removing these invariably resulted in its destruction. In the simplest form, all internal organs were left in place. This was not restricted to only the poorest corpses; some mummies of members of the royal family showed no signs of any attempt to remove organs.

The book is divided into two parts. The first traces the morphological development of the various forms of container employed in kingly burials, with frequent reference to comparative material from the tombs of lesser members of the royal family and private individuals. The architectural arrangements made for the canopic equipment are also commented upon and illustrated; in doing so, certain points of history and archaeology relating to royal burials are discussed in detail. The arrangement of the part is chronological, six chapters being devoted to each of the principal periods of Ancient Egyptian history: the O.K. (ch. 1), the M.K. (ch. 2), the S.I.P. (ch. 3), the N.K. (ch. 4, which yielded most data), the T.I.P. (ch. 5, with the royal burials from Tanis), and the Kushite (25th) and Saite (26th) Dynasties in ch. 6. Ch. 4 on the N.K. is co-authored by Schaden and Brock, the latter presenting some of the results of his researches in the Valley of the Kings.

Part 2 catalogues all 58 known canopic items belonging to kings of Egypt, the earliest dating to the 4th Dynasty, the latest to the 26th. Full details of material, dimensions, provenance, present location and bibliography are given. Photographs or drawings are provided for all significant pieces. Handcopies of all hieroglyphic texts are accompanied on opposite pages by translations prepared in collaboration with Mark Collier and Otto Schaden. A full concordance with museum and excavators' numbers is given, and furthermore a bibliography and extensive indexes on names of deities, kings, royal family and private persons, on sites and monuments, and on numbered museum objects. Some additions and corrections added at the end.

A recommended standard work of Egyptology, also suitable for the interested layman.

Greetings, Lutz.
evarelap
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good book, also now available in paperback from https://www.routledge.com at $47.95 USD. But ships within 1 to 2 months Sad

Better to get digital version.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the edition from 1994. If not, I would also buy it as PDF, because I like to have such basic works by hand when I am in Egypt...

Greetings, Lutz.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
I have the edition from 1994. If not, I would also buy it as PDF, because I like to have such basic works by hand when I am in Egypt...

I was lucky enough to get my copy when Kegan Paul International [KPI]/Routledge had a clear-out some years ago and I purchased my copy for about £8/$11.50 USD at the time. I mentioned this to Dodson, from whom I was involved in a class he was teaching, about the great find, and he stated that KPI at the time paid out so little in royalties he actually had advised some of his students to photocopy the 1994 KPI version.

Personally, I'm glad Dodson's work has been reissued. It is an invaluable resource work on the subject, as well as that of Barbara Luscher (Sp?), who also has written on the same topic, which is considered also a great scholarly resource as well.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: