Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sir John Soanes Greatest Treasure: The Sarcophagus of Seti I

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Sir John Soanes Greatest Treasure: The Sarcophagus of Seti I Reply with quote

Hitherto there was only this ...

Samuel Sharpe / Joseph Bonomi : The Alabaster Sarcophagus of Oimenepthah I., King of Egypt. - [Now in Sir John Soane's Museum, Lincoln's Inn Fields]. - London : Longman, Green, Roberts, 1864. - (PDF - 7 MB)

... older publication of an extraordinary object from the tomb of Seti I. in the Valley of the Kings available. Now, a new scientific work is finally announced for this year:

John H. Taylor / Helen Dorey : Sir John Soane's Greatest Treasure - The Sarcophagus of Seti I. - London : Pimpernel Press, 2017. - ISBN : 9781910258873. - 96 p., illus. - [Exhibition Catalogue] :
Quote:
Sir John Soane's Greatest Treasure describes one of the most important antiquities ever found in Egypt – the beautiful calcite sarcophagus of the pharaoh Seti I. Discovered in 1817 in the tomb of Seti I in the Valley of the Kings by the flamboyant explorer Giovanni Belzoni, the sarcophagus now resides in Sir John Soane's Museum in London's Lincoln's Inn Fields. Leading Egyptologist John H. Taylor outlines the life of Seti I, the background to the creation of the sarcophagus, the excitement surrounding its discovery and the fascinating story of its journey to London and its acquisition by Sir John Soane. At the heart of the book is a fully illustrated interpretation of the complex imagery and hieroglyphic inscriptions which cover the delicately carved surfaces of the sarcophagus. The book also includes an essay by Helen Dorey on the celebrations held at the Museum to welcome the arrival of the sarcophagus of Seti I in 1825. Sir John Soane's Greatest Treasure is published to mark the 200th anniversary of the discovery of the sarcophagus in 1817, and to accompany a major exhibition at Sir John Soane's Museum, opening in October 2017.

In this connection also of interest ...

" Recording & Rematerialising the Sarcophagus of Seti I and all the Tomb's Scattered Elements " (Factum Arte Foundation, 2016).

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: