Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In honor of Halloween ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: In honor of Halloween ... Reply with quote

There are so many photographs out there (supposedly) showing ghosts.
Are there any ghostly images that are caught in Egypt?

If the medieval lady haunts the castle, then would one not expect some ancient Egyptian to haunt a temple, tomb or other structure?
Besides the "curse of the pharaoh" stories, I'm not really sure I have heard any tales about hauntings, spirits, specters, etc.

Well, besides the Haunted Egypt episodes with Derek Acorah Very Happy

Anyone know of ghost sightings in Egypt?
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch a lot of shows/read about hauntings and ghosts and never remember seeing anything in Egypt. hard to believe with that long a history that you dont hear of any
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. One would think that with thousands of tourists snapping pictures over the years that something would show up? No strange shaped shadows, no areas that look like a face?
BobManske
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, fewer than squirrel sightings at Busch Stadium. Speaking of which, I'm very glad to see you survived the post-game party.

Bob

Good bye, Doug, thanks a lot, and you're welcome for all the fish. Stop by our way again.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Ah yes the squirrel ...

Did not really go to any after-parties so no "danger" in that area.
Next: survive Halloween
kylejustin
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paranormal activity 3.......i reckon it would be hard to find ghosts in photo's taken during daylight in egypt lol but there is that story of khaemwaset? trying to get the book of thoth? from the tomb of a an old kingdom priest and he played senet for the book with the ghost of the dead prince.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylejustin wrote:
paranormal activity 3.......i reckon it would be hard to find ghosts in photo's taken during daylight in egypt lol but there is that story of khaemwaset? trying to get the book of thoth? from the tomb of a an old kingdom priest and he played senet for the book with the ghost of the dead prince.

Yes there is mention of ghosts in the Ancient Egyptian sources. There are the stories of Setne Khaemwese. There's a papyrus about a husband asking his dead wife to stop haunting him. etc.

But it's the modern mention of ghosts (or lack there of) I find interesting. No photograph at a museum with a strange face appearing anywhere? There are plenty of people who are at the pyramids after dark. No stories of ghostly apparitions, no one complaining about "unseen hands" touching them? No whispering voices of the dead?

In England they see images of monks walking through the monasteries. There are spectral roman soldiers. But no file of ancient Egyptian priests seen at any of the sites? No spectral Egyptian soldiers?
Styler78
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
kylejustin wrote:

Yes there is mention of ghosts in the Ancient Egyptian sources. There are the stories of Setne Khaemwese. There's a papyrus about a husband asking his dead wife to stop haunting him. etc.

But it's the modern mention of ghosts (or lack there of) I find interesting. No photograph at a museum with a strange face appearing anywhere? There are plenty of people who are at the pyramids after dark. No stories of ghostly apparitions, no one complaining about "unseen hands" touching them? No whispering voices of the dead?

In England they see images of monks walking through the monasteries. There are spectral roman soldiers. But no file of ancient Egyptian priests seen at any of the sites? No spectral Egyptian soldiers?

Yes we do. Sadly we have an uncontrollable amount of alcohol and drugs, which may well have somethng to do with that. Compare the alien sightings here, compared to Egypt........ hmmmm! Laughing

Happy Halloween, Egyptian Dreams! tongue2

http://styler78hatshepsutproject.blogspot.com/

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:

What you need to query about is the Egyptian belief in the ifrit (or afrit), which are ghosts/demons which haunt the monuments in Egypt. If you are in Egypt, you will still hear ifrit stories around the tombs, monuments, and on one occasion (as I recall), in the Luxor Museum.

Read the following about the ifrit:

Jimmy Dunn's Ghosts of Thebes

The Ghost of Akhenaten, from Wikipedia.

Ifrit tend to be seen only at night, according to folklore, which may explain the lack of photographs.

I will check my library about modern Egyptian stories about the ifrit, if it's of interest.

I tend to be interested in such stories, not the least of which is because in Egypt, my nickname there is bintee ifrit ("daughter of the ghost demon"), possibly because I am very pale. Wink

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links neseret Very Happy

The story about the ifrits is interesting. Certainly clever of the Rassul brothers to use the story of the ifrits to keep others away from a great discovery!
Axenabdw
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Halloween Reply with quote

Just a short comment regarding the ghost thing in Ancient Egypt.
When visiting Egypt last month I photographed the room with the barque shrine in the Horus temple at Edfu.And there are clearly what I would describe as orbs in the photo.My wife said the same as me when she saw them.
Orbs or something else.
Depends on what you believe.But as a believer in the paranormal.
Anything is possible.
I will see if I can add the picture on to the laptop later in the week,and people can draw there own conclusions.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of a mummy taken out of Egypt that caused havoc in the places it was taken to outside its tomb. The story is not credible though, and it ends aboard the Titanic in which it goes down with the ship. It was said that the mummy's spirit cursed the places it was sent to. Sounds like a ghost to me, but again, the story cannot be corroborated.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"
dzama923 wrote:
... it ends aboard the Titanic in which it goes down with the ship. It was said that the mummy's spirit cursed the places it was sent to. ...

Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mummification -> Mummy on board Titanic ? "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: