Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anubis Hieroglyph

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Anubis Hieroglyph Reply with quote

I have not seen an inscription or hieroglyph with the god Anubis in it. Is there a temple with his hieroglyph. The only thing that comes to mind is the weighing of the heart papyrus, which is not to my knowledge found in a temple inscription, or is it? Is the weighing of the heart only found on papyri? If someone could help me answer these questions that would be great.
dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said
Quote:
Is there a temple with his hieroglyph.
. What I meant was: Is there a temple with his hieroglyph?

To add to the post I think I have seen statues of him at different temples, but always depicted as a complete dog, or jackal.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Anubis as hieroglyph see the signs Gardiner E 15 & 16.

For a very detailed listing of its cult places and his complicated "family conditions" see ...

Brigitte Altenmüller : Anubis. - In: Lexikon der Ägyptologie - Volume I. - 1975. - Col. 327 - 333.

A more compact but quite adequate presentation you find on pages 187 - 190 in ...

Richard H. Wilkinson : The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt. - London : Thames & Hudson, 2003. - ISBN : 0500051208; 9780500051207. - 256 p.

From page 190 :

Aset
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
I have not seen an inscription or hieroglyph with the god Anubis in it. Is there a temple with his hieroglyph.

Temple of Hathor, Deir el Medinah:

KV 62 (Tut's tomb):

Aset
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dzama923 wrote:
I have not seen an inscription or hieroglyph with the god Anubis in it. Is there a temple with his hieroglyph.

The question should be : Is there a temple or tomb without Anubis in it (at least since from the New Kingdom on...).

@Aset : Could you pleace look at this ---> "Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature -> Can Anyone Help Identify What This Says Please?" ?
Josip199
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: A God Without Temples Reply with quote

To date, archaeologists have not unearthed any monumental temple dedicated to this god. His “temples” are tombs and cemeteries. The major centers of his cult were located in Asyut (Lycopolis) and Hardai (Cynopolis). His name appears in the oldest known mastabas (mud-brick tombs) of the First Dynasty and several shrines to the god have been found. For example, a shrine and a cemetery of mummified dogs and jackals was discovered at Anubeion, a place located to the east of Saqqara. It seems that during the reign of the first dynasties he was even more significant than Osiris. This changed during the Middle Kingdom period, but Anubis continued to be one of the most important deities.

https://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/anubis-jackal-god-and-guide-ancient-egyptian-afterlife-006155
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: A God Without Temples Reply with quote

Josip199 wrote:
... It seems that during the reign of the first dynasties he was even more significant than Osiris. ...

Logically ... Osiris is not occupied before the end of the 5th Dynasty. It seems that the author on "Ancient Origins" definitely needed tutoring in basic research...

Andrey O. Bolshakov : Osiris in the Forth Dynasty Again? The False Door of Jntj, MFA 31.781. - In: Mélanges Offerts à Edith Varga. - Budapest : Musée Hongrois des Beaux-Arts, 2002. - pp. 65 - 80. - Page 65 :
Quote:
... On the royal monuments, Osiris is mentioned first in the Pyramid Texts of Unis [Last King of the 5th Dynasty], while in the private tombs, as far as we can date them, his name does not occur (in the offering formula) before Isesi. An inscription in the tomb of princess Hm.t-ra(w) at Giza, dated by some scholars to the late Fourth - early Fifth Dynasty, had been considered the sole earlier record of this god; however, as the present writer has demonstrated, it cannot be earlier than the middle Fifth Dynasty. ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: