Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brazilian National Museum in Rio de Janeiro Burns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Brazilian National Museum in Rio de Janeiro Burns Reply with quote

Founded 200 years ago, the Brazilian National Museum in Rio de Janeiro was a victim of the flames yesterday. According to initial preliminary reports, only a few of the more than 20 million items in the collections could be brought to safety from the flames:

"Statement Regarding the Devastating Fire in the National Museum of Brazil" (International Council of Museums, 03.09.2018).

It must be assumed that the around 500 objects of the Egyptian Collection were also lost to the flames:

"Hundreds of Ancient Egyptian Antiquities Feared Destroyed in Brazil Museum Fire" (Egyptian Streets - Mirna Abdulaal, 03.09.2018).

For the history of this collection see:

"From Egypt To Brazil: An Egyptian Colletion In Rio de Janeiro" (2011)

"SESHAT - EGYPTOLOGICAL LABORATORY OF THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF BRAZIL".
Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grief and sadness. I studied there, and it was a symbol of the significance of my country towards the rest of the world. A irreplaceable loss. Sad
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is already something known about what could be saved? Has the fire also destroyed the magazines?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Jasmine Day (Perth, Western Australia) shares, on Dropbox, the photos she took at the Museu Nacional in Rio de Janeiro in 2013:

" Museu Nacional ©Jasmine Day 2013 " (ZIP - 446 MB)

Quote:
Dear friend,

These are the photographs I took at the Museu Nacional in Rio de Janeiro in 2013, when I was visiting the city to participate in the International Congress on Mummy Studies. It is a tragedy that now only photographs will survive of the museum’s wondrous collections.

I took photographs of selected exhibits, including parts of the collections of ethnography, fossils, mummies and antiquities. However, I photographed the entire Egyptian exhibit in detail, with particular attention to mummies and coffins.

Some photographs may be dark or slightly unfocused because lighting in some areas was poor. However, you may be able to use software to improve the images.

Whenever possible I took photographs of labels. A photograph of an object or group of objects is followed by photographs of relevant labels if there were any. By arranging the photographs in numerical order, you will see labels following the objects they describe.

You may use the photographs for research and personal use - please include a caption “photograph by Jasmine Day 2013” or “© Jasmine Day 2013”. If you would like to publish one of my photographs, please contact me so that I know where it is being published, and be sure to include “© Jasmine Day 2013” in the caption.

Thank you,

Dr Jasmine Day
Perth, Western Australia
<JasmineLDay@hotmail.com>

Robson
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Is already something known about what could be saved? Has the fire also destroyed the magazines?

Only the sector of Mineralogy was saved. Practically all the rest, including the largest egiptological collection in Latin America, was lost. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: