Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ancient Egyptian Scribes: A Cultural Exploration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Ancient Egyptian Scribes: A Cultural Exploration Reply with quote

New from Bloomsbury Egyptology:

Ancient Egyptian Scribes: A Cultural Exploration, by Niv Allon and Hana Navratilova

Though I'm only a third of the way into the book, I am thoroughly enjoying it. Allon and Navratilova provide a synthesis of the world of the scribes of New Kingdom Egypt through ten short biographies highlighting the very different roles filled by those usually given the general appellation "scribe." For instance, the chapter on Tjanuni deals with the roles and duties of scribes in the military during the early Thutmosids; the chapter on Senenmut (agreeably largely free of salacious speculation on his relations with Hatshepsut) discuss government functionaries at the highest levels. I was interested to learn that, prior to decipherment, the tomb of the scribe Paheri was regarded as more significant than the nearby tomb of Paheri's grandfather, Ahmose son-of-Ebana! (And it seems that Paheri may have played a part in the decoration or planning of that tomb, so we may owe Ahmose's story to Paheri...)

I'd recommend it. Smile

https://books.google.com/books?id=JQaXDgAAQBAJ&dq=ancient+egyptian+scribes&source=gbs_navlinks_s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: