Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Egyptian story!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you write a section of the story?
Yes!
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
No!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: An Egyptian story! Reply with quote

I am aware that there are lots of people here who are good linguists, and pretty much everyone here shares a fascination with Egypt. I just thought that it would be fun to write a story together. I mean one person could start, once we had thought of a topic, and we could take it in turns to add to the story. We would of course have to work out the order in which we would post additions to the story beforehand, but the beauty of it would be that none of us would know how the story was going finish. We could write it on any section of Egyptian history, but we would have to work out the main characters, and have the era and direction of the story worked out roughly. I would expect to have about six 'sections', but if more people wanted to enter then we could always extend it or write another.

I think that this is quite a good idea. Does anyone want to write a part? If so, vote on the poll and leave your name and preferred subject and section (beginning, middle or end will suffice) that you would like to write. I think that this will be fun, and even if the result is rubbish, it will give everyone a chance to have a go at researching for historical in their writing, and we might just end up with a good story. . .
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted yes as I really would love to write an Egyptian story, but due to studies, I'm not sure how much I can contribute. And also, my story writing tends to lean towards fantasy...but I can try to keep it as factual as possible.

My favourite subject is mythology and religion, I don't have a preferred period of Egyptian history.

For some reason I'm making up a character but I need to remind myself that this isn't an RPG...
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I'm glad that you are willing to help. Slipping into fantasy doesn't really matter, as the Gods will have to feature somewhere. . .That's one writer, now we need a few more. Smile
Kevin
Admin/Admun/Admen
Admin/Admun/Admen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a private forum for this?
That way it won't be 'public domain' until you decide. You never know, you may end up with a blockbuster which you might want published! (obviously I'll want a percentage for it being developed using my resources Wink)

Let me know and I'll set something up.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember to leave a percentage for moi...I can use it on a trip to Egypt Very Happy that's what I need for inspiration.
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who helped make it (which includes Kevin), will be able to use the story providing they credit the other writers. But first we have to write it!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great idea, and sounds like fun. I'm not sure I will have time for it right now. There's just a bit too much going on in my life as it is.
Can you maybe narrow down the timeperiod? Old Kingdom, New Kingdom?
Could there be more than one story under development?
I like Kevin's idea of a separate forum for this.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the seperate forum be used for RPGs as well? Very Happy
Dampwater
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to add in my share of the story if it is kindly wated by other forum member. I think this is a brilliant idea. I would love to do a part on this, given i know the rough outline and/or premise of the story, i'll try my best to figure something out.
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Here are some starting ideas. Feel free to add your own ones, and then we can choose the best. I am going to try to keep them as vague as possible so that people can interpret them for themselves:

I. Set in the New Kingdom. The story is about an a priestess, and begins in a Temple. A rich Nobleman also features later on. The return of an ancient evil at regular cycles plays an important role in the story.

II. Set in the Old Kingdom, this story is about a peasant who is heir to the throne of Egypt. The story starts and ends in the same sort of place. A prayer plays a key role in the plot.

Those are just two ideas, which I wrote in such a way that they are open to interpretation. Both of them are rather outlandish, and this would probably make them more interesting to write.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like awesome ideas-and they can involve some fantasy/magical/mythical elements by the looks of things.

The first story: I was thinking that the priestess could be of Isis, and the evil could be Set related (although supporters of Set may disagree...) and we should put a twist in the story-like the nobleman could be the villain (oops, gave away the as yet unwritten ending there Laughing )

2nd story: the prayer could be to Horus (god of kings-perfect for someone who's heir to the throne) and I think one of the stories should involve some aspects of death-such as visions of the afterlife, communication with dead pharaohs, spooky stuff like that.

Just a few thoughts.
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound like equally awsome ideas. I think that it is time to begin. Isisinacrisis, you have the honour of beginning the story, but try to make the first section about 500 words at most (there can be as many sections as necessary). Choose whichever story you prefer.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me?! Surprised omg I don't even know which story to start...I have a bit of writers block now, and so if I do start this, my writing will be a bit crappy...

Maybe we could evevtually end up doing both stories?
Psusennes
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine. You choose I or II, and then I'll begin.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't choose...we could do one story and then do another-or mix the two ideas?
Also I'm rubbish at names-especially Egyptian ones, so I'd have no idea what to call the characters. Also I'm not too hot with my actual periods of Egyptian history...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: