Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thera / Santorini

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Thera / Santorini Reply with quote

Idea

Wondering...

There is still a great deal of controversy over the dating of the Thera/Santorini eruption, with historical sources and dendrochronology/C14 readings giving apparently contradictory results. But, sparked by a comment in the chapters on absolute dating methods in Hornung, Krauss, Warburton et. al., HdO/Ancient Egyptian Chronology, I began to speculate...

If we were to posit an earlier eruption of Thera than is currently accepted in the lower chronologies, and to look for it in a zone 1627 BCE - 1616 BCE... that would put it very close to 400 years prior to the later years of the reign of Ramses II (ca. regnal years 52-64 if 1279 BCE is assumed for accession)... this makes me wonder if the "400 Year Stela" [which, to my knowledge, is assumed to date to late in the reign] could have been commemorating an actual event connected with Seth, i.e., the disruptions following on the Thera eruption (or, perhaps, the founding of a temple to Seth following on to the presumed event).

It also makes me wonder if the "blast of God" quoted in Josephus' extract of Manetho may have originally been a reference to the same event, which then in later years became conflated/confused with the rise of the Hyksos, the memory of which certainly seems to have become a bit garbled by Manetho's (or Josephus') time.

Very airy speculation here, on very little factual basis, but it still makes me wonder.

Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: