Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egyptology - the linguistic dimension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Egyptology - the linguistic dimension Reply with quote

Egyptology is interesting in an entirely difference sense than the obvious, in that it is an international discipline; from the very beginning, important advances have been made by French, German, and Arabic speakers as well as by English-speakers. So, a hopeful Egyptologist has some modern languages to master in addition to the ancient ones...

I've come to the conclusion that, while I haven't precisely *exhausted* the sources in English, I am encountering more and more items that simply aren't available in English, at least at the present. Since I already speak a little German, I've decided that's the best route to follow. (This is sparked by ordering a copy of Jürgen von Beckerath's Chronologie des pharaonischen Ägypten. I think I know enough to follow it on the basic level, particularly when it touches on Egyptian proper names, anyway...)

Since my German is of the basic-conversational-read-street-signs-and-order-off-the-menu variety, it's clearly not going to be up to the challenge as it is. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be most helpful to begin with? Perhaps a good 'juvenile' level Egyptology book, written in German? Any other resources that I might look into?

(I'll be bumbling ahead regardless, but I can't possibly be the first one to encounter this...)
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have found an Antwort... found Das Alte Ägyptens 'für Dummies' on German Amazon for a few Euros. That ought to do it! Laughing
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, although the "Dummies" book hasn't arrived yet, I am pleased to report that I'm handling Farouk Gomaa's Ägypten während der Ersten Zwischenzeit fairly well; I'm a few chapters in. It helps considerably that I understand the topic being discussed, of course, though I do have to keep my Englisch/Deutsch dictionary handy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: