Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are the pyramids really tombs or are the experts wrong
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:
116 and a half cubits @20.6"
[/u]
cladking
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:
I don't understand the importance of a 200' height* in labeling something a "pyramid" or not. Are the queens' and subsidiary pyramids constructed alongside the two big Giza pyramids not to be considered pyramids, then?

Correct. The little tiny queen's "pyramids" are not "great pyramids". The missing " cult pyramid and Khentkawes Pyramid are not great pyramids. The tiny piles of rubble tombs are not great pyramids. The "provincial pyramids" are not great pyramids. The great pyramids are distinct from all the others because;

They were not tombs.
They were masonry.
They were built first.
They required thousands of times more work to lift the material.
They all exist in a very limited geographical area.
They were built in a short period of time (~2850 BC to 2700 BC according to C14 testing).
There is no evidence for how they were built.
There is no evidence for why they were built.

Keep in mind that it's the staggering amount of work and the huge stone sizes that most makes them different than the others. People want to compare the relative heights of pyramids but this is VERY HIGHLY MISLEADING because the amount of work is the height times the weight divided by the efficiency.

All these things don't apply to other things that are routinely called "pyramids" which obscures the facts. Indeed, most of them apply to none of most pyramids. We may not really know how or why the provincial pyramids were built but we can certainly take them at face value as landmarks and precursors to the great pyramids.

Sometimes pointy things are just pointy things and piles of rubble are not even pointy things. Calling them "pyramids" is confusing the issue and hiding the reality. I usually just try to use the term "great pyramids" just to be sure people are on the same page.
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... Neferirkare's pyramid at Abusir (approx. 239') qualifies as a 'great' pyramid, but his predecessor Sahure's (approx. 155') does not; nor does his successor Niuserre's (approx. 170')? And Amenemhat I's (181') fails while his son Senusret I's (201') succeeds?
cladking
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:
so... Neferirkare's pyramid at Abusir (approx. 239') qualifies as a 'great' pyramid, but his predecessor Sahure's (approx. 155') does not; nor does his successor Niuserre's (approx. 170')? And Amenemhat I's (181') fails while his son Senusret I's (201') succeeds?

It's funny I never noticed that Naferirkare's Pyramid was so large. I don't pay much attention to things after the great pyramid building age so I missed it. This can simply be the exception that proves the rule. Since it was later and probably a tomb, I wouldn't consider it a "great pyramid".

It is interesting that it is stepped. The simplest explanation for why this pyramid and the great pyramids were stepped is that they needed the steps to lift the stones. Stones were simply pulled straight up the step sides which is far easier if you must use primitive materials and processes to lift.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: