Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEWS: Water rise imperils pharaohs' temples
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Egyptians are not at all alone in their conservation pursuits. Naturally they would be hard-pressed to pay for all of this expensive preservation work by themselves, but many major universities as well as international organizations contribute large sums of money and their own experts to help in the fight.
ghobbit
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the links posted in this thread has a quote from Touregypt which states

"..tourism is the biggest earner of foreign currency, $ 4 billion a year.."

Now I know they probably have a lot of things they need to spend this money on health and education like everyone else but still $4 billion!!

Earlier in the same source Zahi Hawass states that though he is reluctant to do so, prices will have to increase to help pay for restoration and conservation etc. What was of more concern was his statement where he says

"..I feel that those in charge of tourism should look for tourists who would prove beneficial to the economy.."

Could that be read that prices go so high that only the wealthier few would be able to afford to pay the prices for entry.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four billion does sound like a lot of money, but think of that on a national scale: in your own adopted country of the USA, that's a few hammers and toilet seats for our GIs serving in Iraq (okay, I exaggerate, but you get the idea). The driving force of the Egyptian economy is tourism, so you can bet they do everything they can to milk it.

Quote:
What was of more concern was his statement where he says

"..I feel that those in charge of tourism should look for tourists who would prove beneficial to the economy.."

That does tend to rub one the wrong way, but it sounds like a Hawass statement that didn't come out quite right. He's probably refering to the deluxe tourism packages that are all over the place and a more aggressive campaigne to promote them.

The Egyptians understand, I'm sure (I hope), that they can raise prices only so much. If they get too enthusiastic about their charges, they're going to price themselves right out of the tourism business, because I'm willing to bet the majority of those foreigners who tour Egypt are not wealthy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: