Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions- Why is Ancient Egypt so spiritual to many people?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nefertara
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Opinions- Why is Ancient Egypt so spiritual to many people? Reply with quote

I have been obsessed with Egypt since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper, and as I grew up I found myself identyifying with the Goddess forms of the Old land.
Does anyone else here have a spiritual interest in Egypt?
almostascribe
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no spirtual stuff from me ...
My interests lie in ancient historiy and and as the one of the sources of our civilisation...

the egyptians inspired the greeks .... the greeks inspired the romans ..... and thr romans inspire us to an extent...
there was heavy egyptian infulence at byblos the birth point of the modern alphabet ----> which leads to greece
Egyptians use base ten mathematics...
alot of engineering practises has been passed on over the millenia

the wisdom of the nile dwellers still runs through our civilisation.......
Hatshepsu
Account Suspended

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a spiritual interest.. as you say.. ive always felt connected to them..
nefertara
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously the historical viewpoint on Egypt is that they were incredible astrologers, engineers and mathematicians, but to me that just adds to the spiritual dimension of Ancient Egypt. Were these accomplishments and skills given to the ordinary people of Egypt by divine means? Im always amazed by how advanced the civilisation actually was.... Smile
dandelions dont lie
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: spirituality Reply with quote

Question in what way do you feel spiritually linked to Egyptian Religion? What period? i dont understand
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Christianity is much like the ancients Reply with quote

faroah

Ancient Christianity is VERY much like the ancient Egyptian religion, only we serve one God, and they, many.

You see, I grew up with a minister for a dad, went to a religious (Baptist) school, and my brother is super religious (too much for me!). Twisted Evil

The Ankh is believed to be the forerunner of the cross we know. It's on a book I saw in the bookstore today. In the religion section. Don't have the name but you'll probably find it.

The people in the Bible crossed paths many times, and intermingled. They all helped or needed each other, and learned each others cultures.

faroah

I do have a strong spiritual bond with Egypt, because of this. I loved the art, the culture, the people, everything.

They loved cats and worshipped them. I understand this too. I know I am not a cat, but because they were practically in my crib, I thought they were kin and behaved like them. I can talk to them in their language (meowing) and identify with them more than people. I will see a person walking a dog or cat, and go to the animal, before acknowledging the person. That's bad isn't it?

I love snakes too. I didn't grow up with them, but will go up to them and pick them up. I don't seem to have fear and they just look at me like what the hell? That's what happened yesterday. I just picked up a wil snake at the tail end and it looked at me like I was insane. It was SOoooo cute! Twisted Evil
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard about the Egyptian religion and Christianity links too-like Isis and Horus being the original madonna and child, Osiris resurecting like Jesus, and so on...

I love cats too! Very Happy and I've actually had a snake put round my neck-it was really cool! But I'd freak out if I ever saw a poisonous snake in the wild...
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Christianity is much like the ancients Reply with quote

Rip Li wrote:
Ancient Christianity is VERY much like the ancient Egyptian religion, only we serve one God, and they, many.

Confused Arf?
Rip Li
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject is a little more complicated, so I will leave it alone, thank you. Just trying to help. There are many similarities and many more differences. The end. I'm not a scholar. Rolling Eyes
dragonlady
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm brand new here, but intending on jumping in head first. Found this site purely by accident, but the first thing I saw was under another topic where Budge was quoted. I have been a fan of Budge for a long time and have never met anyone who has ever heard of him, much less quoted him.

... that being said. . .

Quote:

Actually . . . The egyptians believed in a creator, who was all powerful, all knowing. But was formless and nameless. Beyond definition, really beyond comprehension. From this creator stemmed the many Gods.

Personally I think that the eqyptian religion has such a broad appeal is because it is so ancient. It is timeless, and has influenced many religions through out the world. Christianity being one of them.

Christians came from the jews, and the jews spent a lot of time in Eqypt. They had to have picked up something.

So it is familiar and exotic, and it is also rather vague. Vague for us rather. As modern people these ancient and exotic gods are appealing, creative, and can give us a sense of mystery. But because the culture and time is so far removed from us, we can pick and choose what parts of the religion we will take, and what parts we will leave.

Christianity, while also ancient, is still very much a living breathing religion, and growing all around us. It is much harder to connect with that religion and pick and choose what you want to take and interpret the way that you would like.

An Ancient religion however, it is subject to interpretation, and however much we think we know is still wrapped in mystery.

If I have caused offense, I do apologize. I personally am fascinated with the ancient egyptians, and have taken some of their beliefs to heart and think that they had some very valid ideas. I wear and Ankh and a Scarab around my neck because these symbols bring me the comfort and strength that the pentacle or cross bring to others.

So to sum up, I think that many are fascinated with the religion because,

It is familiar enough to be comforatable, yet mysterious enough to be exciting. It is timeless, and it is very clear that we have only begun to scratch the surface.
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to do more than give your honest and convinced opinion to offend someone here. Wink
I don't think I said "hi" already.
Welcome to the board.

Feel free to visit my site in construction:
-- www.enks.net --
dragonlady
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. Very Happy

I've been to some boards where the flame wars are just a standard. Someone states "I like cheese" then somebody say's "I don't like cheese it stinks."

Then it degenerates into "You stupid cheese hater, how dare you foul up my boards with your non cheese loving posts?"

"Your Mamma was a cheese hater!"

. . . uh don't ask where that came from.

Anyhoo, I like to debate about stuff, and will probably argue with points made. But as long as all understand it's just in good fun and no harm is intended I think it can be entertaining for all.

Dragon Lady
Official Cheese Advocate
kinhshea
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Christianity is much like the ancients Reply with quote

Quote:
The Ankh is believed to be the forerunner of the cross we know. It's on a book I saw in the bookstore today. In the religion section. Don't have the name but you'll probably find it.

I've researched the ankh. From what I've read it is a nubian invention, which filtered over to Egypt. It embodied "eternity" and was a combination of both the female and male symbols... The upper part is female and the lower part is male{phalic}. The cross is an extremely masculinized version (in which the feminine aspect is ciscumsized and only the phalic symbol is left, to suit, in my opinion, male dominated christianity).. It was supposed to represent balance (male and female gender principle which asserts that along with everything else; where there is balance there is eternity). I believe this.

I read somewhere that the ankh was believed to hold electromagnetic properties... would love to look into that study
But I consider it my duty."
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I thought it wasn't that complicated. Confused
Gardiner for one states it to be merely the bird's view of an Egyptian sandal.

-- www.enks.net --
Segereh
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's as easy to see too much into a thing as it's easy to see too little into a thing, I guess.

-- www.enks.net --
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: