Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My favorite fiction

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: My favorite fiction Reply with quote

I put together my favorite books, and decided that I would also compile a “favorite fiction” list. This is of course reflective of my taste in books, and other people may not agree, but I thought that a list of books would be nice.

I hope others will add their favs to the list.

Some of these books had been discussed before, so if you’re interested check out some of the other threads for possible details Very Happy

Naguib Mahfouz
Akhenaten : Dweller in Truth

A young man called Meriamun interviews people who knew Akhenaten to find out “the truth” about him. We hear from a sculptor, several courtiers, and finally from Nefertiti herself. This book paints a very complex picture of who Akhenaten was.
Very well written.

Pauline Gedge
Trilogy about 17th / 18th dynasty time period and the struggle to oust the Hyksos.
Features Seqenera, Prince of Waset (Thebes), Thetisheri, Queen Ahhotep, Kamose, Amose and Ahmose-Nefertari. This is a series I liked very much.
The Hippopotamus Marsh (Lords of the Two Lands, Volume 1)
The Oasis: Lords of the Two Lands: Volume 2
The Horus Road: Lords of the Two Lands: Volume 3

Hatshepsut
Best book by PG in my opinion. Great read.
Child of the Morning

Amarna
Features Akhenaten and Nefertiti. She does go with the most unlikely theories however. Story is told from perspective of Queen Tiye: Akhenaten’s mother.
The Twelfth Transforming: A Novel

Ramses III (Harem conspiracy) Roughly based on the harem conspiracy against Ramses III. Here the story is recast with a peasant girl Thu becoming a physician. She becomes embroiled in the court intrigue. Not historically correct, but well written.
The second book describes the aftermath of the court intrigue and the fate of Thu.
Lady of the Reeds
House of Illusions

Wilbur Smith
We’ve talked about this trilogy before. It’s not historically accurate, but they are a great read. The first book is the best, and it should be noted that only the first and the last book take place in ancient Egypt. The middle one takes place in modern times.
River God
The Seventh Scroll
Warlock : A Novel of Ancient Egypt

Elizabeth Peters
This author (her real name is Barbara Mertz) is an Egyptologist and mystery writer. She has written a whole series featuring Amelia Peabody. This intrepid Victorian era woman meets the Egyptologist Emerson in the year 1884 and after an adventure marries him. The series consists of now 17 books that cover the late 19th and early 20th century. Written with a good sense of humor and featuring historical figures such as Maspero, Carter etc, these mystery novels are some of my personal favorites.
Someone kindly compiled a list at amazon.com:
Amelia Peabody books

Judith Tarr
Her books are often classified under fantasy. So don’t expect “documentary style” books Very Happy I have read some books of hers that I enjoyed though:
Pillar of Fire
It’s a Moses = Akhenaten type book. I really enjoyed this book.

Diana M. Wilder
Pharaoh’s Son
from one of the reviews:
“It opens with a festival in the City of Memphis, Egypt during the Reign of Ramses II; while a parade is being formed a 40 ft statue falls on the crowd of revelers. The mystery begins with how the statue came to fall and moves through the why. The Royal family of Egypt and the Priesthood of the god Ptah become interwoven into the intrigue.”
Book has two of the sons of Ramses II as the main characters.

I know a lot of people like Christian Jacq's novels, but I'm not one of them.... Evil or Very Mad
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read another book by Diana M. Wilder:
The City of Refuge

I really like her books. They include historical characters, but these mystery novels are not based on historical events.

In The City of Refuge we find the second priest of Ptah, Nebamun, who goes to the abandoned city of Amarna to investigate a collapse of a stone quarry. There are stories that the city of Amarna is haunted.
The main story of the book deals with a betrayal that took place at the end of the reign of Tutankhamen, and we slowly find out what happened.

I don't want to say much more, as this would give away too much of the story line.

The book takes place during the reign of Horemheb, and in the course of the story we meet General Seti (the future Seti I).
Most other characters in the book are made up. It's clear that the author has read quite a bit about this time period, so that she crafts a great mystery Smile

As I mentioned above, Diane M. Wilder also wrote a book named Pharaoh's Son. This is also a mystery, and takes place during the reign of Ramses II.
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Elizabeth Peters
This author (her real name is Barbara Mertz) is an Egyptologist and mystery writer. She has written a whole series featuring Amelia Peabody. This intrepid Victorian era woman meets the Egyptologist Emerson in the year 1884 and after an adventure marries him. The series consists of now 17 books that cover the late 19th and early 20th century. Written with a good sense of humor and featuring historical figures such as Maspero, Carter etc, these mystery novels are some of my personal favorites.
Someone kindly compiled a list at amazon.com:
Amelia Peabody books

I really like these. Peabody is a hoot! I liked the earlier ones better, before Ramses took over. I liked that the most recent went back in time.

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't finish the Jacq series. I got bored. But then I hadn't been able to finish one of Wilbur Smith's books.

Others I read a long time ago - there was a children's or young adult's book with a partial title of Mara. I couldn't tell you anything else about it, but I loved it at the time.

It's seriously dated now, but I read Mika Waltari's "The Egyptian" in high school. I found it very interesting and romantic. I read it after seeing the Edmund Purdom "epic" version.

Diorite
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the latest in the Amelia Peabody series. It came out yesterday (the 28th).
I think the mummy case (#3?) may be my favorite one out of the whole series. Amelia definitely is a hoot Laughing
I do think that it shows that the author is a trained egyptologist.

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't finish the Jacq series.

Good. I sometimes feel I'm the only one....

Quote:
But then I hadn't been able to finish one of Wilbur Smith's books.

The three by Wilbur Smith are very different. I liked the first one the best. The last one, called Warlock, was ok but I did get a teeny bit bored with that towards the end. I was thinking of rereading the first one. Just for fun..
akhenaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Wilbur Smith: I personally felt that the Seventh Scroll was the best, but that's just me. River God is equally outstanding, and is the best first-person perspective book I have read. Warlock was good, the magic elements making for a different kind of tale, although still brilliant.

Re Mika Waltari: Where can I purchase this book? I love the film but have never found a copy of the novel.

Re Christian Jacq: I am one of them.

Re Elizabeth Peters: I found her style too - well - Victorian for my liking, and the later ones were difficult to get into. But the Mummy Case - classic!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think
I think that on the subject of Christian Jacq I'm slightly biased. One of my favourite periods in AE is during the Ramses era (the other being during Thuthmose period).
The first series I read was about Deir El Medina during the reign of Merenptah, called The Stone Of Light. The other series I've partly read is the Ramses series, both of which I completely loved Exclamation

I must admit though the Harem Conspiracy Ramses III books that anneke mentioned sounds intereting. I've actually seen a documentory on the conspiracy before, but I do tend to find reading much more fun. Razz

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
akhenaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stone of Light! That's my favourite of the series. And Ramses, of course. Another is the Judge Of Egypt trilogy. And the new quartet about the Mysteries of Egypt. All good reads at midnight while the rain pounds against your window.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiding

I've just been on the internet ordering some books:

Champollion The Egyptian and The Judge Of Egypt Trilogy by Jacq.

The Mask Of Ra by Doherty.

Definately gonna have plenty of reading to do over the next few weeks Exclamation

Also just about to read The Last Camel Died At Noon by Elizabeth Peters, (the way I'm going I'll never have time to do any of my coursework) Very Happy The only troube is once I start reading any of these books I can't put them down. Cool

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
akhenaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a Borg, I'd say coursework is irrelevant. But I'm not, so I won't. I've got tons as well but so little time.
ELISE
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 'The Twelth Transforming' was excellent. It's also very closely based on the history of the period (or more accurately, based on the known history when the novel was written.) The detail is amazing.
Meritamon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Child of the Morning by Pauline Gedge
King and Goddess by Judith Tarr
Throne of Isis by Judith Tarr
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: