Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KV55 Revisited...again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marble? That's a bit of a surprise.
It sounded like it was just a study, maybe to be used as an example. I would have expected them to have used some cheaper type of material for that.

Nice piece though, isn't it? Smile
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
So "the 4" has nothing to do with the individual jar to which Sesen was referring? I was trying to read it as "the 4" with the sign for heaven overhead. I'm wondering about that, too. I'm so confused

Sorry all to cause confusion, that was a vague sentence of mine regarding the 4! The 4 I should have said was the 4 canopic jars - only one of which was on display at Cairo and identical to the one at the Met.
About the sign for heaven: the lable beside the piece read "... uniquely the 4 (canopic jars) were surmounted by the sign for heaven".
Umm..What is the sign for heaven by the way?
I thought that perhaps this sign was inscribed above the now gone inscriptions on the jar. But could the wording on the label suggest that this sign was attached to the top of the head - or just to confuse the issue more, maybe it is simply a reference to the missing uraeus from her forehead?
It struck me as odd at the time, so I made a note of it hoping you guys would have some ideas as to what it meant.
It truely is a real work of art, very beautiful.
the jar

The Akhenaten and possible Smenkhare study I always thought was in limestone...
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like there's nothing on top of the head, and like you said the only thing missing is the uraeus from the brow (or possibly a vulture?).

Not sure what a sign of heaven would be. Could it be a mis-translation?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's in marble. Just in case you wondered.

That is interesting, given that so many canopic jars are made of Egyptian alabaster. But marble is seen in other materials. In our museum collection we have a huge and magnificant Ptolemaic period sarcophagus excavated outside Alexandria in 1888, and it's made of marble.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
... made of marble.

I lost my marbles Shocked Didn't happen to find it somewhere, did you?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up, Sesen. It makes sense now. Here's a photo of KV55 that shows the canopic niche in which the jars were found:

I've never noticed it in this photo, which you see in nearly every book about or containing a chapter on the Valley of the Kings, but perhaps the glyph for heaven is faintly etched on the wall overhead or maybe even on the wall inside the niche.

In any case, the hieroglyph for "heaven" is a rectangle from the bottom two corners of which the points extend into spikes. See the photo below (which also contains a star, but that is not integral to the "heaven" glyph):

This is a very common hieroglyph and in Egyptian it was called pt--pronounce it like "pet." You often see it in the royal or divine phrase nb pt, "lord of heaven." I can't say for certain what its significance may be as placed above the canopic vessels, though it could mean numerous things.

By the way, Kevin and anneke, no worries about the photos I'm using here: they're from the freeware photos on Yahoo and anyone can use them.

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I lost my marbles Didn't happen to find it somewhere, did you?

I'm sure they're with mine. Now, if someone can tell me where mine might be, then we'll both be set!

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That is interesting, given that so many canopic jars are made of Egyptian alabaster. But marble is seen in other materials. In our museum collection we have a huge and magnificant Ptolemaic period sarcophagus excavated outside Alexandria in 1888, and it's made of marble

I was referring to the Akhenaten/Smenkare relief.

Quote:
The Akhenaten and possible Smenkhare study I always thought was in limestone...

Limestone is a possibility but pure white is an unusual color for limestone and not for marble and the texture looks like marble to me. Marble and limestone are made of the same mineral, it's the texture and process of formation that are different.

Of course, if I could see it first hand I could tell you. Very Happy

Diorite
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
In any case, the hieroglyph for "heaven" is a rectangle from the bottom two corners of which the points extend into spikes. See the photo below (which also contains a star, but that is not integral to the "heaven" glyph):

*** *slapping forehead and noticing lost marbles*. How could I have forgotten that! Of course, so often seen. Thank you for posting the pic.
I've often wondered if the browband of the Khepresh crown is a representation of pet.

Diorite wrote:
Quote:
Limestone is a possibility but pure white is an unusual color for limestone and not for marble and the texture looks like marble to me.

It interesting you saying that because I vaguely thought the same thing - until that is I watched them cut limestone into new bricks. It is so brillantly white that its blinding. Sanded, smoothed and aged somewhat it would look very like the study in question. But this is just an amateurish observation of mine - especially bearing in mind my current lack of braincells Laughing
Just for interests sake, where would the marble have come from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: