Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egypt in our schools
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I had nothing like the Field Museum or Oriental Institute where I grew up. It was mostly sunflower fields and sugar beet crops up there in northwest Minnesota. Now it's my turn --> Rolling Eyes .

Laughing You think that's bad. According to Wikipedia these are some museums where I'm from; Wilberforce House, Ferens Art Gallery, Maritime Museum and the Streetlife and Transport Museum. Sounds 'xciting does't it?! lol. Actually there were a couple more on the site, but I'd never heard of them! Anyway, point being that when I was a kid there were no Egypt-related museums about, so it's not really any wonder that I was never interested in Egypt when I was younger.
There actually is a fairly new museum now though that has some replicas from Tutankhamun's tomb, Wink I went to see it last year, but honestly it's not very good, Twisted Evil but I guess it might get young kids interested in Ancient Egypt.... Possibly.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds kind of nice, actually. I had no special interest in Egypt probably until I was in college, so I can relate. And even where I went to college there wasn't much to see or do. And there, instead of sunflowers and sugar beets, there were sugar beets and wheat. Rolling Eyes And snow, lots and lots and lots of snow. There was a small local-interest museum with some nice Native American antiquities (another interest of mine), and a museum specially built to hold a replica Viking ship that was used to sale to Europe and back. Whoopee!

At least in the U.K. you've got world-class museums in a number of places, and your country isn't that big. How long would it take you to go to the British Museum, for instance?

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
There was a small local-interest museum with some nice Native American antiquities (another interest of mine), and a museum specially built to hold a replica Viking ship that was used to sale to Europe and back. Whoopee!

You see, and I used to love learning about the Vikings. Everytime there was a school trip or something when I was younger, it'd always be to the Jorvik Viking Centre (in York, which is just a short coach-trip away) and I used to really enjoy it.

Kmt_sesh wrote:
At least in the U.K. you've got world-class museums in a number of places, and your country isn't that big. How long would it take you to go to the British Museum, for instance?

That is a very valid point. I just reckon that Americans possibly get used to looong car journeys much more than us British folk, after all we can't really drive very far before we hit water, lol, whereas you could probably drive for days without seeing an ocean in sight! We do have some good museums, I guess, but I haven't really visited a lot of museums, The British Museum is by far the best that I've seen so far. I would really love to go to the Petrie Museum though, I'll definately think about that when I - hopefuly - go down to London late next year to see the Tutankhamun Exhibit. Wink

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett.
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just remembered something that I forgot in my original post.
Grrrr, no Edit Button Twisted Evil :

kmt_sesh wrote:
How long would it take you to go to the British Museum, for instance?

It takes about 3 hours by train (which is how I usually travel, having no car), but honestly that seems like a hell of a long time to me. I suppose that's the down-side of living in a small country, not being used to travelling very far means that when you do need to travel, it seems like the other end of the world. Laughing

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just reckon that Americans possibly get used to looong car journeys much more than us British folk, after all we can't really drive very far before we hit water, lol, whereas you could probably drive for days without seeing an ocean in sight!

I can't even remember the last time I saw the ocean (Pacific), but it was when I was little and we lived in California. The only reason I remember it was that a big wave took me under and a neighbor girl had to pull me out. I think I was about six, but I can still remember looking up from beneath the water and seeing her hand coming at me.

And this has absolutely nothing to do with museums. Your mention of the ocean just stirred up some memories. Razz California has plenty of fine museums but I don't recall seeing any of them. Oh, and the only other strong memory I have of that state is watching my toys rattle about on the shelves during the frequent minor earthquakes.

Anyhoo, we Americans do often end up going on loooong drives, but not all of us get used to them. I hate long drives and I've driven up and down this country. I'd rather take the train, which I don't recall ever having done.

Quote:
It takes about 3 hours by train (which is how I usually travel, having no car), but honestly that seems like a hell of a long time to me. I suppose that's the down-side of living in a small country, not being used to travelling very far means that when you do need to travel, it seems like the other end of the world.

But the opportunity to visit the BM would have to make the long train ride worthwhile. It's one of the world's greatest institutions, and the ancient Near East collections alone must be worth the trip.

Now get on that train and go see the BM! Very Happy

Visit my blog!
Daughter_Of_SETI
Divine Adoratrice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I can't even remember the last time I saw the ocean (Pacific), but it was when I was little and we lived in California.

OK, you're starting to make me think that you've actually lived in every State in the US. Wink

Kmt_sesh wrote:
The only reason I remember it was that a big wave took me under and a neighbor girl had to pull me out. I think I was about six, but I can still remember looking up from beneath the water and seeing her hand coming at me.

That's very funny - not the 'you downing' part, but the part where you were rescued by a little girl - was the girl much younger then you? Laughing I'm just kidding!

Kmt_sesh wrote:
Oh, and the only other strong memory I have of that state is watching my toys rattle about on the shelves during the frequent minor earthquakes.

(bold highlight is mine)
**Shudder** Apparently, there were parts of Yorkshire that were hit by a small tornado last week, and that later this week we may be hit by the tail end of a hurricane! Shocked I'm sure if I actually witnessed a Earthquake, though, it'd probably scare me half to death. Natural Disasters are quite rare in the UK though, but now I've said that....

Kmt_sesh wrote:
But the opportunity to visit the BM would have to make the long train ride worthwhile. It's one of the world's greatest institutions, and the ancient Near East collections alone must be worth the trip.

Now get on that train and go see the BM! Very Happy

Yes, getting to see the British Museum definately does make the long trip worthwhile. Razz The only reason you want me to go to the BM is so that I take potos, lol. I wont be going to London until at least late next year unfortunately. Sad

kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK, you're starting to make me think that you've actually lived in every State in the US.

No, probably not even a quarter of them. But we were a military family (my dad was an officer in the Air Force) so we moved every three or four years. I tend to stick around longer now that I'm on my own, but not always that long. I've lived in Chicago now for six years and in the same apartment, and that's a record for me. Surprised

Quote:
That's very funny - not the 'you downing' part, but the part where you were rescued by a little girl - was the girl much younger then you? Laughing I'm just kidding!

LOL Admit it, you were picturing a poor helpless little kmt_sesh flailing around in the ocean and gulping down saltwater. Ocean saltwater is incredibly foul, by the way. Laughing I think the girl who pulled me back up was maybe nine or ten, so she was older than I was.

Quote:
I'm sure if I actually witnessed a Earthquake, though, it'd probably scare me half to death.

I'm sure you've heard it before, but if you live in a place like California, you get used to earthquakes. And I never witnessed a major one. They were just big enough to make my toys shake on the shelves, but I don't remember being frightened. I was too frightened of drowning in the ocean to worry about silly earthquakes. Razz

Visit my blog!
kat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm curious to know what some of you younger folks remember about studying Egypt in school. What projects did you do? What did you enjoy most? Do you recall how long in your school year you spent studying Egypt?

I'm old, and went to Catholic school in the Dark Ages when the nuns still wore full habits with wimple and veil, so we didn't studt Egypt much except as a backdrop of the Exodus fiction.

I remember horrifying the good sisters when a classmate allowed me to choose a kitten from his queen's litter, Sister said maybe I'd be like St. Francis and I told her I would rather be like the AE priestesses of the Cat Goddess!

I was an odd child, but the memory of the look on her face is priceless! Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was an odd child, but the memory of the look on her face is priceless!

LOL I went to private Catholic prisons--er, I mean schools--till the middle of sixth grade, and those nuns scared the hell out of me. And this was in Texas, a highly conservative and religious state. I can just imagine what that nun must have thought! I'm surprised she didn't grab you by the ear and drag you to the confessional. Surprised

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those nuns could be mighty scary! Shocked
I remember coming to the conclusion they had to all wear roller skates--they just kinda glided along, didn't seem to take steps. And they all seemed to be armed--a ruler was always available. Must've been stashed in the habit somewhere...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
remember coming to the conclusion they had to all wear roller skates--they just kinda glided along, didn't seem to take steps.

No, not rollerskates. Nuns are special--they levitate. Shocked

Quote:
And they all seemed to be armed--a ruler was always available. Must've been stashed in the habit somewhere...

Strangely enough corporal punishment wasn't allowed at either of the Catholic schools I attended when I was a boy (California and then Texas). If it was ever used on a student, I never saw it happen. And you know what? It wasn't needed to instill fear in us. Those nuns were scarey enough as it is.

My parents switched me to public school in the middle of sixth grade, when we moved across the country. I was adopted through a private Catholic agency and one of the stipulations of my adoption was that I attend Catholic schools, but my parents were never satisfied with their quality or with my own performance in them. I improved dramatically both socially and with my grades when I started in public schools...but to this day, through elementary school and middle school and high school and two college degrees, no teacher or professor was as intimidating to me as those nuns were!

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember I was so very afraid of a nun (Sister Margaret) who taught one of my classes, that when I had to go to the bathroom very, very bad, I was afraid to ask her permission to be excused--just sat there and pee'd my pants! Embarassed
Fond memories...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you were terrified! Was Sister Margaret terribly displeased with you or did you hide the accident till class was over? That would be hard to do.

I didn't do well in Catholic school. Each grade level was divided into three groups and I was in the lowest. It was pretty harsh because you knew even as a young child that you weren't a good student when you were placed in that level. I remember feeling like there was something wrong with me. I think my parents feared the same till one night when one of the nuns called to complain about my behavior that day, and even over the phone my mom could tell this nun was roaring drunk. I think that was the beginning of the end for my own parents' respect for that school. Confused

I didn't drive that nun to drink, did I? Surprised

Visit my blog!
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Margaret set me home, with a note to my mother of what an ill-mannered and disrespectful child I was in her class!

kmt_sesh, don't think you may have been a factor in the nun's drinking. I've seen a couple of them become real party-animals!
Talk about funny, though! In back of the convent that housed the nuns was a tennis court that was strictly Off-Limits to any student. A friend of mine and myself sneaked back then late one afternoon, to see what was such a big secret.
No nuns running around nude--no wild party scene--only four nuns playing tennis. They were wearing their habits, of course, and had reached down between their legs, grasped the back of the habit skirt and tucked it in the waistband, creating a sort of "bloomers", so that it would be much easier for them to run! What a hoot!
We never did get caught, even though we went back several times. Must've been all those Hail Mary's working...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a sight that must have been! If only you had been able to take pictures. I can't say I've ever seen a nun playing tennis, especially with the habits and long gowns.

But how do you know they weren't drinking? Maybe their water bottles were filled with gin.

Laughing

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Homework Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: