Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What got you interested in Ancient Egypt.....?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My mum and dad bought books on it coz their both ineterested in history.

I think one of the greatest things parents can give their children is a love of history. I see it all the time when I'm working at the museum, and it does my heart good. These same kids who soak up history also tend to be voracious young readers, and that's of course an additional plus. A very BIG additional plus.

Hats off to you folks who have kids and foster in them a love of learning! Wink

Visit my blog!
LMiss_Sunshine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: I agree! Reply with quote

I agree!

I got into the habit of reading when I was younger and it's one of the things I'm best at!

My parents also read me bed time stories so that's something I looked forward to! Then I started reading on my own before bed and that's what got me ahead too! I couldn't get to sleep so easily if I didn't lol! Razz

Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember my mom reading to me much, and I'm certain my father rarely did. Rather, my mom attempted time and again to get me to read on my own...Curious George and stuff like that. It never interested me. I was never much of a reader until high school, and somehow it's snowballed ever since.

If I'm not reading from at least two books a week--one of which has to be about ancient Egypt--I feel somehow incomplete. And there's no way I can get to sleep without reading for at least an hour first. I'm not a dad myself, but I know if I had a child, I'd read to him or her as often as possible.

Visit my blog!
LMiss_Sunshine
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reading! Reply with quote

That's cool!

I kinda have to read a lot coz of uni now!
I do like leisurely reading but don't have that much time for it at the mo unless it's related to Classics or English. Then again I think most of the things I like tie in with eachother!

I have to say though, I am a slow reader!!!!!
I like to get absorbed into the book and build up a picture in my head. I think I'm the slowest reader I've ever met!

I do like buying books though! I love that feeling!

I think I seriously have to start reading quickly.

The other thing I tend to do is to read some of one book but then I get excited about another one at the same time so I can end up reading loads of books at once! Or I leave one and go to another then it's a couple of years before I finish the first one I was reading!

Imagine what I'm like with Lord Of The Rings!!!!!!
I started reading it a while back but haven't had time to read it! It's a huge book! Plus it has loads of imagery in it!

Mind you, one thing that amazes me is how I can remember where I am in a book after not reading it for agggggeeeessss! Maybe this has all improved my memory lol!

So I think I have a few bad habits with reading although I'm enthusiastic!

I think bed time stories is a great thing because it's something for a kid to look forward to. Perhaps it even makes them go to bed on time! I remember it being relaxing too. It still does and whenever I couldn't get to sleep I'd just pick up a book then that usually relaxed me enough.

Anyway I am determined to read all of the LotRs at some point!
Maybe even get onto the Silmarillion even though people have said that it's a hard read. So there's an epic task for my lifetime lol!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do like buying books though! I love that feeling!

I love that feeling too, especially when it's a new book about ancient Egypt. I feel like a kid at Christmas and can't wait to start reading.

Quote:
I think I seriously have to start reading quickly.

What makes you think that? It's not a contest. If you retain more from a book, and get more enjoyment from it by reading slowly, then by all means read it slowly! One of the most ridiculous and unnecessary "achievements" of mankind is speed-reading. People who do that amuse me. So they can read a book astoundingly fast? So what? Do they grow personally and expand their knowledge by doing so? Parlor tricks. If it works for you, take your time...read slowly and get the most out of the book.

Quote:
Mind you, one thing that amazes me is how I can remember where I am in a book after not reading it for agggggeeeessss!

I can do that, too. I call it a bookmark! Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the most ridiculous and unnecessary "achievements" of mankind is speed-reading. People who do that amuse me. So they can read a book astoundingly fast? So what? Do they grow personally and expand their knowledge by doing so? Parlor tricks.

I totally disagree with you on that one.

If you're reading for fun you can read as slowly as you please, but I wish some of my students would learn some of these "parlor tricks" as you call them.
There is definite value in knowing how to scan texts for information and know how to use your knowledge of composition to take in information quickly.
I personally could not do my line of work without that ability.

And to answer your question: Yes people can expand their knowledge by doing so.

However when it comes to reading for enjoyment it does make sense to just realx and immerse yourself in the text.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I totally disagree with you on that one.

You and I come from different backgrounds in education. When I was a teacher my kids were middle schoolers or early high schoolers, and at that age the faster a kid tries to read the less he will retain. The speed-reading technique to which I referred requires special training and would be of minimal to no use to 98% of school kids from elementary to college age. Academically that's why I refer to speed-reading as a parlor trick. Learning to scan for pertinent material is altogether different. I didn't teach history but English, literature, and composition, and I know the challenges so many school kids face when trying to read at an average speed, much less at warp! Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

You and I come from different backgrounds in education. When I was a teacher my kids were middle schoolers or early high schoolers, and at that age the faster a kid tries to read the less he will retain.

Yes that does make quite a bit of difference Very Happy
I can imagine that at that level faster is not better.

I have to deal with students understanding technical reading and also active versus passive reading. Different issues really.

But talking about the original topic, originally learning about Egypt, there's nothing like a well illustrated book I think.
Illustrations are a powerful tool anyway, but especially when you learn about a new place and culture.

I don't know what book got me started on Egypt, but I do have a memory of being transfixed by the beautiful images.
Must have included some images of Tutankhamen. Most (introductory) books do get back to him eventually...
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But talking about the original topic, originally learning about Egypt, there's nothing like a well illustrated book I think.
Illustrations are a powerful tool anyway, but especially when you learn about a new place and culture.

(Bold emphasis mine.)

Originally? I have to admit, one of my favorite finds at bookstores to this day is when they have one of those beautifully illustrated coffee-table Egypt books on the cheap table. I snatch them up! I'll likely never get to go to Egypt myself, so enjoying these photographs and studying what they show helps me feel kind of like I'm there.

Well, sort of kind of. It helps if I crank up the thermostat, toss a few scorpions around the apartment, and throw sand at myself while I'm perusing these books.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:

Originally? I have to admit, one of my favorite finds at bookstores to this day is when they have one of those beautifully illustrated coffee-table Egypt books on the cheap table. I snatch them up! I'll likely never get to go to Egypt myself, so enjoying these photographs and studying what they show helps me feel kind of like I'm there.

Very Happy So true. I have several coffee table books about Ancient egypt. I really like the ones that show detailed pictures.

kmt_sesh wrote:
Well, sort of kind of. It helps if I crank up the thermostat, toss a few scorpions around the apartment, and throw sand at myself while I'm perusing these books.

Throw in a couple of cobras.... Okay maybe not Smile

You do put on your Nemes headdress before digging into a good book right?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So true. I have several coffee table books about Ancient egypt. I really like the ones that show detailed pictures.

A favorite of mine is a beautiful book put out some years ago by Zahi Hawass on pyramids. I think it was originally marked for $50 but I picked it up for around $12! It's a large book and packed with beautiful photographs.

Quote:
Throw in a couple of cobras.... Okay maybe not

You do put on your Nemes headdress before digging into a good book right?

I can't have cobras. I live in an apartment in Chicago, remember, and if I had cobras they would eat all of the rats. Then who would I have to talk to? But yes, I generally do throw on the nemes headdress and occasionally a kilt before reading. But when doing housework, I prefer the blue crown and a loincloth.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book by Hawass sounds interesting. I have a book by him called Egyptian Treasures (from the egyptian museum in Cairo).
Can't remember what I paid for it though.

Housework in the blue crown? Declaring war on dust? Laughing
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to simulate ancient Egypt in my home as you describe but scorpions and cobras? Yeesh, I get the creeps over the little house spiders already...but I do have some cats. Yeah, cats are good. I could even make a little Bastet shrine for them over their sleeping box, pamper them as though they were goddesses, and to make it really Egypt like, I'll place some scarabs in the litter tray. Wink Hopefully the kitties won't eat 'em.

But to be a true ancient Egyptian, you shouldn't forget the eyeliner. Yes, kmt-sesh, men wore it too so there's no getting out of that one. In fact, I find men with eyeliner quite cute. It's a very goth/punk/rock 'n roll kind of look these days. Wink
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anneke wrote:
Quote:
I have a book by him called Egyptian Treasures (from the egyptian museum in Cairo). Can't remember what I paid for it though.

The pyramid book, now that I'm home and can see it, is called The Treasures of the Pyramids (Barnes & Noble Books, 2003). It's a hard cover and only about 400 pages, but the book is very, very large. If you can't afford weights for exercise, just lift this thing up and down a dozen times a day.

The book you mentioned sounds interesting. But then most anything from the Egyptian Museum would have to be. I did an Amazon search and came up with one called Egyptian Treasures from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, but it's written by Francesco Tiradritti, not Hawass. It looks like a beautiful book, probably worth the $50. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0810932768/qid=1112316284/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-8822786-2904954

It's hard to keep track of all of the books Hawass has written. He's rather like the Wallis Budge of our time, much more credible of course but the prolific publisher of everything from the scholarly to fluff.

isisinacrisis wrote:
Quote:
I could even make a little Bastet shrine for them over their sleeping box, pamper them as though they were goddesses

Why not? That's how all cats expect to be treated, anyway. I grew up with cats and would have one now, if my apartment management would allow it (which they don't). You could buy a little Bastet statue for your cats' shrine--they sell those things all over the place. Then, every morning, you could clothe and ornament and cense Bastet, and leave offerings of bread, beer, and meat...all of which your cats would enjoy, if they're anything like the cats I grew up with. Or just leave a can of tuna there.

Quote:
But to be a true ancient Egyptian, you shouldn't forget the eyeliner. Yes, kmt-sesh, men wore it too so there's no getting out of that one.

Of course I'm aware of it. I just forgot to mention that I put on the eyeliner with the blue crown and loin cloth when I do housework...or, as anneke put it, declare war on dust. Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
I did an Amazon search and came up with one called Egyptian Treasures from the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, but it's written by Francesco Tiradritti, not Hawass.

That's the one! Very Happy You're right about Hawass, he contributed an piece called "The Splendour of the Old Kingdom" to the book. There are pieces that are contributed by several egyptologists in the book. Tiradritti is the editor.
I just picked it up and immediately regretted it Crying or Very sad It's a beautiful book though.

Isis wrote:
..but I do have some cats. Yeah, cats are good. I could even make a little Bastet shrine for them over their sleeping box, pamper them as though they were goddesses

LOL I do have a cat and a small statue of Bastet my sister gave to me. I'm not dedicated it to my cat though. She has enough airs as it is.

I can just hear her now: "I don't THINK I'm a goddess, I AM a goddess!"
And she thinks I'm her humble servant Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: