Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expensive books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psusennes III
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Expensive books Reply with quote

The Book Of The Kings Of Egypt (Vol. I Dynasties I-Xix, Vol. Ii Dynasties Xx-Xxx) isbn0710311346

The Oxford Encyclopedia Of Ancient Egypt isbn0195102347

Does anyone have these books (2 books in a case for the first one) It's pretty new or not even released yet depending where you live, but it is so expensive over here that I want to make sure it's worth buying.

Cheers
Tom
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked YIKES! $331.50 ? Shocked

No I don't have these.

The Book of the Kings of Egypt : Vol. I Dynasties I-XIX, Vol. II Dynasties XX-XXX by E.. A. Wallis Budge

Quote:
This two-volume set by noted author E. A. Wallis Budge is an excellent reference on the Egyptian Dynastic period. Both volumes contain illustrations of the hyroglyphics used to chronicle the Egyptian lineage of kings. Volume One's introductory chapter provides a thorough explanation of the makeup of the five names of the Egyptian Pharaohs, Ptolemies and Roman Emperors. Volume Two starts at the Twentieth Dynasty and ends with the Thirtieth, yet it also includes the hyroglyphic listings of the Macedonians and Ptolemies, Roman Emperors and the Kings of Napata and Meroe. Sold as a set, these two records of Egyptian Chronology are necessary for any Egyptian scholar's library.

Not sure I would plunk down that much money for an old book.
It's hard cover, but I doubt it has been updated with the latest info? I may be wrong....

The other one looks better to me. Even if it's just that it's written by Redford.
Note that you can order this one used on amazon. The way to go if you ask me Wink

The Oxford Encyclopedia of Ancient Egypt by Donald B. Redford (Editor)

The original is $450, but there are used books from $55:
This counts 1880 pages! This book looks interesting to me.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure I would plunk down that much money for an old book.

I'm quite certain I wouldn't pay a lot for an extensive text written by Budge. Granted he was one of the greats for his time, but that was a very long time ago and his material is quite outdated. I have both volumes of Budge's very thorough Egyptian dictionary, which Amazon sells quite inexpensively, and one of the appendices includes a full listing of the kings as Budge records them. Many of the kings' names are quite muddled.

You're much better off purchasing a more recent text. I fully understand the charm and desire in owning an old book authored long ago, but for the sake of study stick to the modern.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I agree. I was trying to put it a bit more mildly, but I have heard that Budge is not always the most accurate.

Still, the Redford books are also rather steep. Makes me feel better about my splurges tough Laughing They don't look quite so bad now...
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really, really want such an expensive book, as anneke and kmt_sesh says, Budge is not one of my first choices.
He was a very good scholar, and some of his work is now considered to be classic, but he was, as has been said, working and being printed in an earlier time. Much of his work is now passe'.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you really, really want such an expensive book, as anneke and kmt_sesh says, Budge is not one of my first choices.
He was a very good scholar, and some of his work is now considered to be classic, but he was, as has been said, working and being printed in an earlier time. Much of his work is now passe'.

It's not just that much of Budge's work is outdated. No one can deny that he was a genius and a prodigious writer, but what most of the forwards or intros or prologues to his books won't tell you is that the irascible and crafty Wallis Budge made every effort to publish his texts without much outside editing or critiquing. That's a big danger signal right there.

Budge was also an enthusiastic and unscrupulous collector, one of the biggest tomb robbers of his time. He was heavily criticized for this techniques, but that never seemed to bother him--he blew it off as his "duty" to the British Museum. He was fairly typical in his prejudiced attitude of the time, openly stating that Egyptian antiquities were much better off in the museum than left to the vagaries of the peoples of modern Egypt.

Budge became so well known as an Egyptologist that most people of today aren't even aware of the large body of work he conducted on behalf of the British Museum in the Sudan and Mesopotamia.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: