Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Professional Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Three Professional Books Reply with quote

We had a lecture at the Field Museum today on the tomb of non-royals. The presenter was Egyptologist Tom Mudloff. Dr. Mudloff will often take the time to recommend some books for people who are truly earnest in learning about ancient Egypt, and he had some recommendations today that I'd like to pass along.

1. Mastabas of Cemetery G 6000, by Kent Weeks, the same guy who's been excavating KV5 for years in the Valley of the Kings. This is actually a five-volume series, each book of which costs at least $100, and it's for the serious student. It's all about mastabas on the Giza Plateau and is a very professional study, complete with fold-outs containing specs of various mastaba tombs. The Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0878463224/qid=1111901411/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/102-8822786-2904954?v=glance&s=books

2. Ancient Egyptian Materials and Industries, by A. Lucas. This is also a very professional study, but much more affordable. If you've ever wondered about the components of the frit that went into glazed pottery or pretty much anything else concerned with the techonology of Egyptian craft, this is the book you want. It was first published in 1926 and is still one of the mainstays of the study of ancient Egypt. The Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486404463/qid=1111901519/sr=2-1/ref=pd_ka_b_2_1/102-8822786-2904954

3. Ancient Egyptian Literature , by Miriam Lichteim. This is another one in numerous volumes due to the breadth of material, and is broken up according to periods of ancient Egypt. Mudloff always recommends Lichteim's volumes on Egyptian literature and can't praise them enough. Lichteim includes all of the major works of literature throughout the entire dynastic period. The alibris link (not offered on Amazon as far as I can tell, but I've been very happy in the past with alibris):

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=8624131&wauth=miriam%20lichtheim&ptit=Ancient%20Egyptian%20Literature&pauth=Lichtheim%2C%20Miriam&pisbn=0520036158&pqty=46&pqtynew=3&pbest=4%2E95&pbestnew=26%2E85&matches=46&qsort=r&cm_re=works*listing*title

Now, my only question is, which one of you is going to forward me the money so I can afford Mastabas of Cemetery G 6000? Very Happy

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mastaba book looks really interesting.

For as far as the financing goes: I'll have to take care of myself first...

BTW: Check out the used books. You can get this book for $45!

I always look if these books are available second hand. The description of the quality of the book is fairly accurate in my experience. The new book has a delivery time of 1-3 MONTHS, while the used book will be there in about a week Wink
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW: Check out the used books. You can get this book for $45!

I usually have good experiences with used books, too. But I took a careful look at the copy Mudloff brought, and it is filled with all manner of foldouts that are integral to the book. Others who have ordered such books have told me about bad experiences with missing parts, so I tend to be a bit more cautious in that regard. In this case I would definitely prefer to order the book virgin, as it were.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: