Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orginal word for Sphinx...??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajaya
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Orginal word for Sphinx...?? Reply with quote

In the same way that the Eyptians called "a mummy" sah:

What did they call, in ancient Egyptian, what the Greeks called the Sphinx, and while we're at it the obelix!

Jay
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, I've heard the word Sphinx is a greek-ified version of an Egyptian word, but the Sphinx was called something like Harmakis but I can't remember now.

Come to think of it, what IS the egyptian word for mummy????
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sphinx was named Hor-em-akhet. I think it means something like "Hor in the Horizon"

I think an obelisk may be called a tekhen? And the pyramidion, the top part, is called the ben-ben.
I read somewhere that tekhen may also mean sunbeam.

Like Jay mentioned the egyptian word for mummy is sah.
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought sah was the word for another one of those many soul parts, like a sort of astral soul...

Isn't benben a word for obelisk?
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I read was that sah was the complete mummy, and required the opening of the mouth. I don't know much about it I'm afraid Smile
Sounds as though maybe they would call a mummy sah once the mummification ritual was complete?

I thought the benben was the pyramidal peace at the top of the obelisk.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang if anneke isn't dead on again. The Egyptians did indeed call the Sphinx hr-m-3kht (Horemakhet), "Horus in the Horizon." Exactly where the term Sphinx comes from is still debated. Many believe it derives from the ancient Greek word for "strangler" (don't ask me how that name got applied to the Giza sphinx), but many feel it comes from the Egyptian shsp-'nkh (shesep-ankh), "Living Image."

And the Egyptians did in fact call the obelisk tkhn (tekhen), which may have come from the Egyptian wbn, "to rise."

We can be very fussy if we want about the pyramidions of the pyramids. Technically the word bnbn (benben) refers to the sacred stone of the cult center of Re: Iunu to the Egyptians, renamed Heliopolis by the Greeks. The pyramidions atop the pyramids are technically called bnbnt (benbenet), though obviously the latter derives from the former. So if you call a pyramidion a benben, you're not likely to be arrested by the language police.

No pyramidion was ever thought to be solid gold. Rather, on one or two that have been unearthed, traces of gold applique have been found. This is why so many of them were stripped off the top of pyramids.

As for the s3h (sah or sa) anneke is right again. This was the name given to the preserved body--the mummy. The Egyptians made this careful distinction. The living body was called the kht (khet), and a plain old unpreserved corpse was called kh3t (khat). The word s3h means "guarded" or "protected," a reflection of the purpose the preserved body served to the ba. The s3h was also a very common amulet in the shape of cords (often of electrum or copper or gold) folded over and tied into an oval-like loop (not to be confused with the cartouche). In fact, a common word for amulets in general happened to be s3h. A great many statuettes of the cuddly goddess Tawaret show her leaning on s3h amulets.

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because all my books say the sah (or was it sahu? No, sahu was something else...can't remember now.) was the final 'astral soul' that made it to the afterlife and was more 'cosmic' than the ba and ka. Unless they referred to the mummy as being like a cosmic version of the normal unpreserved body.

I've heard of the Egyptian word origin for sphinx. But maybe the Greeks were so scared of this huge lifelike statue that they thought it would come to life, rise up and strangle them with its mighty paws?? Confused Just a thought.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's funny because all my books say the sah (or was it sahu? No, sahu was something else...can't remember now.) was the final 'astral soul' that made it to the afterlife and was more 'cosmic' than the ba and ka.

Aside from the definitions of s3h I wrote about as they relate to funerary rites, I do not know of any other applications. The only "sahu" (s3hw) I can think of means "recitations," as in a ritual sense. "Astral soul" is a good way to describe the 3kh (akh), which was the eternal form of the soul in the afterlife after a successful union between the ba and ka. Can you provide the title of a book where you read this? Maybe I have a copy in my library and can look it up. Wink

Visit my blog!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isisinacrisis, I was thinking about your sah quandry and a couple of other terms came to mind. They're not quite what you were thinking of, but I was wondering if you were remembering your term out of context.

There is the word skhm (sekhem), which refers to a person's power or energy; and there's shwyt (shoo-weet), which is the word for a person's "shadow." The Egyptians interpreted one's shadow as an element that symbolized the spark or existence of divinity within a person.

I know neither of these terms is really close to the one you read about. I'm grasping at Egyptian straws here.

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Egyptian Straw Reply with quote

Would they make good mud brick, though?

Diorite
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you've got the straw and the mud, why not? Very Happy

Visit my blog!
isisinacrisis
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have straws got to do with mud brick???

Talking of which, did the Egyptians use dung in their mud brick? They did in other cultures, like the ancient Britons, and also present day African tribes, but somehow it doesn't seem the cleanliness-obsessed Egyptians' style to have a house that constantly reeks of poo Confused
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The straw is mixed with the mud as a binding agent. Mud bricks would never work without the stuff.

Quote:
but somehow it doesn't seem the cleanliness-obsessed Egyptians' style to have a house that constantly reeks of poo

I don't know if they mixed dung with their mud, but there's nothing clean about the manufacturing of mud bricks in the first place. And their sense of ritual purity certainly didn't stop them from consuming croc poo as a contraceptive. Shocked

Thank goodness for modern drug stores!

Visit my blog!
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The reason I said it has to do with the movie "The Ten Commandments". In it the Hebrews are making mud brick and Moses has joined them doing it. First, their brick quota is increased, then they are told to make brick without straw.

Quote:
I know neither of these terms is really close to the one you read about. I'm grasping at Egyptian straws here.

After kmt_sesh said this about grasping Egyptian straws, I couldn't resist the joke. Laughing Sorry.

Diorite
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy They used the croc doo as a suppository, they didn't eat it for as far as I know.

Otherwise "crocodile breath" could have developed as a term of endearment Laughing
Instead they called each other "brother" and "sister" (also not very romantic I think Rolling Eyes )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Sphinx All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: