Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who has read this book?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Who has read this book? Reply with quote

The book is called "Tutankhamen-The life and death of the Boy-king" by Christine El Mahdy. If anybody has read this book, did you find that they
f!#@ed up on inserting certain pages? My book is missing pages 121-152, and that *** me off!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Dutch translation of that book and all pages are present and accounted for.
Did you buy it recently? Can you go back to the store and exchange it?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same book and it is complete. However, I've encountered the same problem with other books, though thankfully very infrequently. It simply happens. I've never had a problem exchanging a damaged or incomplete book so long as I had the receipt to show proof of purchase.

I have several of El Mahdy's books and enjoy her writing. Her book on Tut is not my favorite about the boy king, but it's well worth reading.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought it in December 2004 in London, Ontario and I don't have a car (it wouldn't matter if I did, considering I don't know how to drive) but I don't go there often so I just wrote a letter to the publication office.

I was enjoying the book though and it was pretty disappointing to go from reading about his mummified body to reading about Amenhotep III and Queen Tiye. There was a few seconds of 'what the hell just happened' going through my mind.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There was a few seconds of 'what the hell just happened' going through my mind.

That happens to me quite often, and it doesn't necessarily have to involve books with missing pages.

Let us know what happens with your letter to the publisher. If you got it in 2004, there's little to no chance anyway that you'd be able to return it now at the store. My edition of that book was published by St. Martin's Griffin of New York, and I can't say I know anything about them. It would be nice to hear, though, that a big publisher took pity on an average joe (or jane) and sent you a new copy.

Daniella's experience is a good lesson for all of us. When you get a book, peruse it right away to make sure it's complete. You never know what might happen. You might order a text on pyramids by Lehner, say, only to find that inside the cover you've bought Elmo's Big Lift-And-look Book.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my book was too from St. Martins Press in New York.

LOL.THat would be pretty funny, although Elmo is a quite cute character! Oh and by the way I'm an average jane.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
LOL.THat would be pretty funny, although Elmo is a quite cute character! Oh and by the way I'm an average jane.

Join the rest of us here, then. It's extraordinary to be average. Seriously, let us know if the publishers respond to your letter. I'm curious to know what happens.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the stupid thing finally got back to me. They sent me a letter saying that I need to contact H B Fenn in Canada, so I'm in the process of doing that right now.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They sent me a letter saying that I need to contact H B Fenn in Canada, so I'm in the process of doing that right now.

And who will H B Fenn tell you to contact? And who will they tell you to contact? This could take you awhile.

Somewhere down the line one of these companies is going to tell you, "Well, you really need to contact St. Martin's Griffin." And then you will snap and we'll read about your rampage in the newspapers! Mad

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And who will H B Fenn tell you to contact? And who will they tell you to contact? This could take you awhile.

Rolling Eyes That's what I'm fearing. Actually, you know what? The book was only about $20, so I will probably end up buying another one (except this time I'm going to make sure all of the pages are there).

Quote:
Somewhere down the line one of these companies is going to tell you, "Well, you really need to contact St. Martin's Griffin." And then you will snap and we'll read about your rampage in the newspapers!

Laughing Laughing You always seem to make me smile! Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You always seem to make me smile!

I try. Very Happy

Perhaps it is I who will be in the papers one of these days. Trust me, if you worked for my boss, you'd be on the verge of snapping on most days.

I'd just buy the book again and be done with it. It's worth the read.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps it is I who will be in the papers one of these days. Trust me, if you worked for my boss, you'd be on the verge of snapping on most days.

Awe, poor baby Crying or Very sad
I'm only teasing, I know what you mean though. My boss can be quite the.......there are many words to use, care to fill in the blank?

Well, thanks for the advice. Now I just have to find the book. They probably sell it at Chapters or something.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a Seinfeld fan? The best way to describe my boss to you is to have you picture George Costanza having one of his wild fits...my boss looks and sounds exactly the same much of the time. Pity me.

Anyway, here's the Amazon link for El Mahdy's book. I don't know what I'd do without Amazon. Shocked

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you a Seinfeld fan? The best way to describe my boss to you is to have you picture George Costanza having one of his wild fits...my boss looks and sounds exactly the same much of the time. Pity me.

Surprised Yeah, that's pretty scary. You know what else was scary? The picture of Paris Hilton that was at the top of the page of the Amazon link you gave me. Shocked That's not hot!
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know what else was scary? The picture of Paris Hilton that was at the top of the page of the Amazon link you gave me. That's not hot!

LOL I hadn't even noticed Ms. Paris was there. I revisited the link and found an ad for a bicycle there now. I myself am not in any way a Paris Hilton fan, so I apologize for subjecting you to such trauma. Wink

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: