Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

References to nsw(t) interpretation, meaning and translation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: References to nsw(t) interpretation, meaning and translation Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I started to research the word nsw(t) (king), because of its interesting ordering of hieroglyphs and not so understandable meaning, and different interpretations and translations between schoolars. So I need a references where I can read more about this subject.

I only found few references using standard grammar books and JNES 6, 8 article, but does anybody know more references (newer ones will be appreciated) so I can read more about this?

Boris J.

Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually bumped into something interesting along these lines just the other day. A book on Herakleopolis I found on Meretseger Books (thanks, Lutz!) made the interesting statement that the term nswt might even have been specifically Herakleopolitan in origin. I'm in the office right now but I'll share the reference as soon as I'm back with my source material.
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thank you!

Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokhtar, Mohamed Gamal El-Din. Ihnasya El-Medina (Herakleopolis Magna): Its Importance and its Role in Pharaonic History. Publications de l'Institut Francais d'Archeologie Orientale do Caire, 1983.
pp. 64-5:

Quote:
"The meaning of Nn-nswt was no doubt (the City of) the Royal Child, lit. <<(the city of) the child of the king of Upper Egypt>>. So Ht-nn-nswt would be <<(the City of) the Residence of the Royal Child>>.

"As for the word nswt, many scholars believe that this designation originated in Ihnasya as a title of its local princes in the Predynastic Period and later developed into a title of the Kings of Upper Egypt, subsequently becoming a title for the kings of united Egypt.

"... With regard to the word nn (i) = child, it most probably refers to Horus, who was crowned there."

In a footnote regarding the use of the word nswt, there is a reference to (Aylward M.) Blackman, Philological Notes, JEA XI, 1925, p. 215. (Not exactly fitting your request for recent sources, though.)
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montuhotep88 wrote:
Mokhtar, Mohamed Gamal El-Din. Ihnasya El-Medina (Herakleopolis Magna): Its Importance and its Role in Pharaonic History. Publications de l'Institut Francais d'Archeologie Orientale do Caire, 1983. ...

It should be noted that the book was first / originally published in 1957.

Jochem Kahl : nsw und bit - Die Anfänge. - In: Zeichen aus dem Sand - Streiflichter aus Ägyptens Geschichte zu Ehren von Günter Dreyer. - Wiesbaden : Harrassowitz Verlag, 2008. - pp. 307 - 351 ...

... gives a historical overview of the interpretation of both titles in Egyptology / by Egyptologists, and provides its own by examining their use in the Early Dynastic Period.

Greetings, Lutz.
Montuhotep88
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
It should be noted that the book was first / originally published in 1957.

Aha... I was thinking it was older than 1983, but the publication data isn't all that thorough in the book.
Lost Pharaoh
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. Those are useful sources. I must work hard to understand German, but I will be persistent.

dzama923
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is unknown to you, but the hieroglyph of bumble bee, also means "king". This I have learned from Manley's How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Art and Literature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: