Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt Reply with quote

Just picked up a copy of Aiden Dodson's 2004 Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt. Very thorough and well researched (for 2004). However, all the names are in English. Why can't any of these books use hieroglyphs or at least transliterated hieroglyphs? I ran into the same thing in Wilkinson's The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt. So, now I have to go out and try to find another book with the darn hieroglyphs. Where the heck are you supposed to find the name of Amenemhat 3's third daughter's name in a cartouche?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt Reply with quote

Who exactly do you mean when you write:
irt-akhu wrote:
... Amenemhat 3's third daughter ...
Question
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the book, Dodson goes through each dynasty and lists all the wives/children based on the laundry list of names from all of the inscriptions Egyptologists have found. However, no hieroglyphs/cartouches are shown. To make my point, I chose a random king (12th dynasty Amenemhat 3) and facetiously commented that I still don't know the spelling of one of his children.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irt-akhu wrote:
In the book, Dodson goes through each dynasty and lists all the wives/children based on the laundry list of names from all of the inscriptions Egyptologists have found. However, no hieroglyphs/cartouches are shown. To make my point, I chose a random king (12th dynasty Amenemhat 3) and facetiously commented that I still don't know the spelling of one of his children.

I know and have this book, in print and digital ... But this did not answer my question.
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't understand the question
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no collection that strives for completeness. Helpful and extensive are ...

Henri Gauthier : Le Livre des Rois d'Égypte - Recueil de Titres et Protocoles Royaux, Noms Propres de Rois, Reines, Princes et Princesses, Noms de Pyramides et de Temples Solaires, Suivi d'un Index Alphabétique (1-5). - Cairo : Institut Français d'Archéologie Orientale, 1907-1917.

1: Des Origines à la Fin de la XIIe Dynastie (1907)

2: De la XIIIe à la Fin de la XVIIIe Dynastie (1912)

3.1: De la XIXe à la XXIVe Dynastie (1914)

3.2: De la XIXe à la XXIVe Dynastie (1914)

4.1: De la XXVe Dynastie à la Fin des Ptolémées (1914)

4.2: De la XXVe Dynastie à la Fin des Ptolémées (1914)

5: Les Empereurs Romains (1917)

" Topographical Bibliography " : Names of people can be found relatively quickly using the index lists at the end of the individual P&M - Volumes.

Joyce Tyldesley : Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt from Early Dynastic Times to the Death of Cleopatra. - London : Thames & Hudson Ltd., 2006. - 224 p. - For example page 70 :

The names written in hieroglyphs or cartouches in this book were made available by Wolfram Grajetzki (Ancient Egyptian Queens - A Hieroglyphic Dictionary, 2005).
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

irt-akhu wrote:
I guess I don't understand the question

Quite simply, which of the women listed by Dodson / Hilton do you refer to as " Amenemhat 3's third daughter " ?
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Lutz, what a egyptology library you have! I am just now building up my collection.

To answer your question - there wasn't any specific daughter (or son) I was looking for. I was just trying to make the point that none of the people in the book had their names shown in hieroglyphs. Lots of sources for the kings' spellings and that is fairly easy to track down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: