Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who was the most interesting / important Queen?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who was the most interesting / important Queen?
Nefertiti
23%
 23%  [ 8 ]
Ahmose-Nefertari
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Hatshepsut
41%
 41%  [ 14 ]
Cleopatra
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Other
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 34

anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Who was the most interesting / important Queen? Reply with quote

I'm just interested who you find most interested and/or important.
I know I have a hard time choosing. Today I would say Ahmose Nefertari. She was a very important Queen, and for as far as I know the only one deified and worshipped.

Ask me again tomorrow and you may get a different answer..... Laughing
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Hatshetsup as the most interesting. She wanted to rule in her own right. I admire that.

Diorite
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, if only I could spell it without looking. Laughing
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Hatsepsut is definitely a Queen who put her stamp on her time period. She must have had qute a personality to get the support of the impportant people at court. It seems to me that she would not have been able to hold on to power as long as she did if she had not had the support of such powerful personae as Hapuseneb the High Priest of Amun.

I thought about Ahhotep as well. She was mentioned as having rallied either the soldiers or the courtiers in a defence of the ruling house of Thebes. She was buried with 3 golden flies (a military honor) and a battle axe (I know there's a joke in there somewhere Smile )
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Hatshepsut, but could easily be swayed to one of the other figures. It's difficult to look at it objectively and not be overly influenced by their place in popular culture. Nefertiti's influence was clearly hugely strong during her husband's reign (and during a very brief possible reign in her own right) although it's difficult to determine what - if any - enduring impact she had. She also seems to have been the development of a line of strong 18th Dynasty female consorts, e.g. Mutemwia and Tiye.

Cleopatra's influence was of course tremendous and her reign and alliances had an impact over so much of the Ancient World (not to mention her enduring legacy in popular culture), so perhaps she should be the choice.

Ahmose Nefertari's seems not only to have been prominent during her own lifetime, but to have left an important legacy.

I have a softspot for Ahhotep - would love to know how hands-on this warrior queen was!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meritaten wrote:
She [Nefertiti] also seems to have been the development of a line of strong 18th Dynasty female consorts, e.g. Mutemwia and Tiye.

Was Mutemwia really a strong consort? I have always wondered about that. Amenhotep III (her son) came to the throne at age ca 12 years, so she could have been a strong regent-queen, but I have never seen any evidence of that. It's never been clear to me who the power behind the throne was / were at that point in time.

I do agree with you about the line of strong queens. Therewere some rather influential women in the royal palace during that dynasty.
It really seems to have started with Ahhotep and Ahmose-Nefertari, but certainly continued during the following generations.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problem with this one because Hatshepsut is one of my favorite pharaohs (though to be honest, by all accounts, unremarkable in her time as queen). She was probably unpopular to the good ol' boys of her court, but during her reign Egypt was a secure and prosperous nation. She stressed trade and foreign relations, and I think her success is obvious. And her mortuary temple at Deir el-Bahri, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful monuments ever built in this world.

Visit my blog!
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...good point, Anneke. I don't know that there's much evidence that Mutemwia was a strong figure during Thutmose IV's reign. Inscriptions and monuments seem to suggest she rose to prominence during her son's reign.
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Mutemwia really interesting. I would expect her to be the Queen-regent behind Amenhotep III. I'm not sure she really shows up in so many monuments though. I don't remember reading about evidence of her actions at court. I have seen statues of her flanking Amenhotep III - at the knee (usually with Tiye on the other side). There is one partian statue of her on a barque, which is a pun on her name because Mutemwia supposedly means "mut in the barque".

She did allow her son to marry Tiye the daughter of Yuya and Tuya. There were royal daughters around, so that is peculiar.
It's also interesting that some see her as a daughter of King Artatama of the Mitanni, while others have suggested that Mutemwia is a sister of Yuya. Would explain the rise to power of Yuya and the marriage of the King to Tiye Very Happy

Looking at your sceen name, Meritaten, I have to say that Queen Meritaten is another of those royal women shrouded in mystery Smile
She starts off being well known as the royal princess and eldest daughter of Akhenaten and Nefertiti, but the end of her life is shrouded in mystery.

Some think it's possible that Meritaten is the mysterious Queen Neferneferuaten. She would have then ruled 3 years after the death of her husband Smenkhare? There's no evidence that this is how it happened and the ruler may just as easily have been Nefertiti, but we can't exclude the possibility either.
Nefertiri
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefertiti is the only egyptian queen i know any solid information about, and i like that she was an independent ruler for part of her life. i saw a documentary from the discovery channel that was extremely interesting. that's one of the ways i became interested in ancient egypt. Very Happy
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is entities like the Discovery Channel that bring to us in vivid color the very characters who were supposed to have been erased from history. Akhenaten, Nefertiti, Smenkhaure, Tutankhamun, and even Ay were supposed to have been forgotten.

What would the ancient Egyptians have thought about our Discovery Channel, I wonder? Shocked

Visit my blog!
Meritaten
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking at your sceen name, Meritaten, I have to say that Queen Meritaten is another of those royal women shrouded in mystery

Weeeellll...confession...Meritaten is the Egyptian figure I find most interesting (perhaps not such a revelation, given my user-name). I wouldn't claim tremendous influence for her, but she does intrigue me. Particularly her final fate, like that of her mother and so many of her sisters. The most poignant object for me from the ancient world is the paint pallette with her name, found between the paws of the Anubis figure in Tutankhamen's tomb.
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The most poignant object for me from the ancient world is the paint pallette with her name, found between the paws of the Anubis figure in Tutankhamen's tomb.

That's one of the most interesting--and revealing--things in Tut's tomb. It's about the only artifact related to writing and it isn't even his, but the rest of his tomb is plumb full of objects relating to hunting and warfare and other activities of action. It seems the boy king wasn't much into his three Rs.

Visit my blog!
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized just a couple of days ago that no Great Royal Wife is known for Amenhotep II. Tiaa is the mother of his successor and son, but she was never great royal wife during the reign of Amenhotep II.

So this mystery lady (or ladies) Queen X has to be on my list of interesting Queens Very Happy

Right up there with the mystery lady who was great royal wife during the final years of Horemheb, when by all accounts his wife Mutnodjemet was dead...
Hathorhotep
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every queen was important, but we should say - in what period? During which dynasty?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pharaohs and Queens All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: