Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incredible Hatshepsut/Thutmose II Discovery in Deir al-Bahri

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Incredible Hatshepsut/Thutmose II Discovery in Deir al-Bahri Reply with quote

Polish team made an incredible announcement yesterday. The article is in Polish, but a decent online translator made quick work of the English translation. If these guys go on to find some royal tombs, such as Thutmose II's original tomb, that would be the find of the century.

http://naukawpolsce.pap.pl/aktualnosci/news%2C81016%2Cegipt-polacy-odkryli-depozyt-krolewski-sprzed-35-tys-lat-kolo-swiatyni
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" GOLDEN GOOSE - Mysterious Chest in Ancient Egyptian Temple Contains Skeleton of Sacrificial Goose – and Could Lead to Lost Royal Tomb " (The Sun - Harry Pettit, 10.03.2020)

In my view, skepticism is called for when Mr. Niwinski announces the imminent find of a royal tomb at Deir el-Bahari. These have been irregular announced since the end of the 1990s ... See for example :

" Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments -> The Lost Tomb of Herihor " ( May 13, 2013)

It has long been consensus that the construction of the temple of Hatshepsut probably started in the reign of Thutmose II. Therefore, the stone box could also be a foundation depot for this temple.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever it may be, items referencing Tuthmosis II are very rare in contrast to Hatchepsut. The fact that a tomb for him is not known definitively is interesting. I do accept that it could be one of the many that are undecorated.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karnsculpture wrote:
... Tuthmosis II ... The fact that a tomb for him is not known definitively is interesting. ...

Margaret Serpico / Benjamin Stern : The Contents of Jars in Hatshepsut's Foundation Deposit at Deir al-Bahri and their Significance for Trade. - In: Under the Potter`s Tree - Studies on Ancient Egypt Presented to Janine Bourriau on the Occasion of her 70th Birthday. - Leuven / Paris / Walpole : Peeters Publishers, 2011. - pp. 843-884. - On page 849 - 850 :

Quote:
... Efforts have also been made to consider the construction of KV 20 in the Valley of the Kings and its relationship to the temple. For many years, since the time of the tomb’s excavation by Carter, it was believed that Hatshepsut had constructed the tomb as a joint burial with her father, Thutmose I, moving his body there from its original location in KV 38. (37)

More recently, it was suggested that this tomb was originally prepared for Thutmose I but had been later extended by Hatshepsut with the intention that she would be buried there as well. (3Cool

While many have accepted this premise, there has been some dissent. (39)

Following Wysocki’s hypothesis that Thutmose II was responsible for the early construction of the temple and, based on the relationship in orientation between the tomb and the temple, Roehrig has argued that the first work on the tomb also began in the reign of Thutmose II. (40)

Conversely, Spence, who would date the Deir el-Bahri temple strictly to Hatshepsut, has concluded that the tomb post-dates her construction of the temple. (41)

Following Spence’s view, this would mean that, chronologically, the jar from the tomb deposit is the latest of all. Alternatively, if Hatshepsut took over the original tomb and temple projects from her husband, then it is possible that the laying of the foundation deposit at KV 20 was part of that process. Romer drew attention to the fact that the deposit would have been “under the feet of almost every basket-carrier that emerged from the tomb” and yet, despite being “flimsily covered” had escaped damage. (42)

This led him to suggest that the placing of the deposit must have been after the excavation of the tomb had finished. ...

(37) C.H. ROEHRIG, ‘The Two Tombs of Hatshepsut’, in: C.H. ROEHRIG (ed.), Hatshepsut : From Queen to Pharaoh (New Haven and London, 2005), 185.

(3Cool J. ROMER, ‘Tuthmosis I and the Bibân el-Molûk : Some Problems of Attribution’, Journal of Egyptian Archaeology 60 (1974), 119-133.

(39) C.H. ROEHRIG, ‘The Two Tombs of Hatshepsut’, 185, 186, n. 15.

(40) C.H. ROEHRIG, ‘The Two Tombs of Hatshepsut’, 185-186.

(41) K. SPENCE, ‘Topography, Architecture and Legitimacy’, 369.

(42) J. ROMER, ‘Tuthmosis I and the Bibân el-Molûk’, 125. ...

irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what are you saying - that KV20 was not the original tomb of Thutmose I, but Thutmose II?
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irt-akhu wrote:
So, what are you saying ...

I didn't say anything ... I only cited from an article that makes clear that there are in fact (surprise!) different points of view on the subject among Egyptologists.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" New film explores work of a man dedicated to finding the untouched tomb of an Egyptian pharaoh " (The First News - Joanna Jasinska, 22.03.2020)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: