Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone read this one?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Patterson
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Has anyone read this one? Reply with quote

Has anyone read Sphinx by Robin Cook? It is one of his early books, his second actually. Some of you may know him from Robin Cook's Invasion book and mini-series.

The reason I ask is because I found a copy of the book, one of the original copies today when I was going through some boxes. It was originally published in Reader's Digest Condensed Books Volume 4 1979. It wasn't published as a book until 81. It's a very interesting read for a second novel.

"Traveling to Egypt is a dream come true for Erica Baron. An Egyptologist, she longs to walk among the temples and monumnets of its long-dead civilizations. But when she stumbles upon a clue to a legendary treasure, the most fearful curse of the ancient world and the most savage menace of the modern one threaten to destroy her. One dangerously attractive man offered Erica help...he offered her protection...he offered her love. And in this strange, exotic land of seductive evils, where no one could be trusted, desire became for Erica the deadliest snare of all..." from the modern version of the book.

http://www.penguinputnam.com/static/packages/us/robincook/books/sphinx.htm
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read the book a long time ago. I don't remember much more than that I liked it Smile

It was made into a movie, with I think Lesley Ann Down playing the role of Erica Baron.
If I remember the movie correctly (also a long time ago) they used copies of the tomb furnishings of Tutankhamen when depicting the tomb.
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, read it a long time ago. And I remember the movie didn't do the book justice.

Diorite
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a big fan of Robin Cook, and I'm sure I've read that one. His earlier books are better, in my opinion. His later books often seem to go off in wild tangents of science fiction. He's much more interesting when he writes about what he knows best--medicine, plain and simple.

Visit my blog!
Daniella
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've read that one and being a young woman myself like Erica Baron I really enjoyed this book and felt more in to it. Very Happy

I didn't know that there is a movie though, I'd like to see it. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: