Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yuya's name
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sure I would sound just as foolish in say Italian as I would trying to guess at egyptian

I once considered studying Italian--until I paid close attention to how fast Italians speak their language. I'm sure I would sound like a slow-witted dufus trying to speak it.

To be honest, I've also studied French and find ancient Egyptian easier. Then again, I've found German a rather simple language to learn, and German and Egyptian have some of the same sounds.

Visit my blog!
Sesen
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmt_sesh wrote:
Quote:
I've found German a rather simple language to learn, and German and Egyptian have some of the same sounds.

You'd probably find Arabic fairly easy to learn to then. I met a few Germans over there and they found it much easier to pronounce the 'kh' type words - I needed a pound of flem in my throat to even have a go Laughing There's really nothing in English to help you with those words.

Just going back to Tuya's name - Anneke and I have both read of it being a possible contraction of Ahhotep. What do you think? From the little info there is, is it possible to tell?
kmt_sesh

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'd probably find Arabic fairly easy to learn to then. I met a few Germans over there and they found it much easier to pronounce the 'kh' type words - I needed a pound of flem in my throat to even have a go There's really nothing in English to help you with those words.

I think I probably expelled a few pounds of phlegm back in college when I was learning German. Those gutteral "kh" sounds can be tricky, but if you look at other languages, you'll find them all over the place. Arabic and Hebrew are two good examples, both of which are distantly related to ancient Egyptian. I would love to learn both of them, too, but one thing at a time, right? Wink On the plus side, learning ancient Egyptian has erased a fear I once had about studying languages whose alphabets are nothing like the Roman-based alphabet to which we are accustomed.

And I no longer expell a few pounds of phlegm when I speak those gutterals, though when I encourage kids at the museum to speak a few words of ancient Egyptian, I usually stand back a few feet! Surprised

Quote:
Just going back to Tuya's name - Anneke and I have both read of it being a possible contraction of Ahhotep. What do you think? From the little info there is, is it possible to tell?

I've a ways to go before anyone could call me an expert in ancient Egyptian, but from what I've studied so far, I don't see "Tuya" coming from "Ahhotep." Even the spellings would be completely different, but I can't be completely certain on this matter. It's a good question.

Visit my blog!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: