Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nicholas Reeves : The Burial of Nefertiti? (2015)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop thinking about the irony of all this...probably the most famous Egyptian king, certainly the most famous tomb in the Valley of the Kings, visited by thousands and thousands of tourists over the years...and the whole time, another room just sitting there on the other side of the wall!

No matter what happens, I know I've already had a lot of fun speculating about the potential.
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If chambers are found, no matter what/who is there or if they are empty, the Amarna tarpits are about to get interesting big time. Let the fun begin
Unas
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder what connection there could be between this new discovery, KV63 and KV55. That is assumung they find anything - it may just be a rough space where excavation was going on to create further chambers that was tidied up with plaster.

Whatever is in there, the government at the time or Tut's family wanted it hidden. I can't think what or who that could be - except my gut feeling is that it isn't Nefertiti. I really think that, considering KV63, that there may be a cache of materials relating to members of the royal family (babies and young children in particular) that predeceased Tut and who may have been brought over from Amarna.
neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz wrote:
Lutz wrote:
"Radar reveals two new rooms in Tutankhamun tomb" (BBC News - 1 October 2015)

... Nicholas Reeves says radar scanning has revealed two extra rooms hidden in the walls of the tomb. ...

Although the BBC is probably reasonably anticipated to be reputable source, I have a doubt here. Radar and thermal imaging tests may actually not have taken place...

Correct: here, the BBC corrected itself and said only that in an interview with REEVES was there his opining this is what the radiographic evidence would show, when completed sometime in November.

It's interesting to note that - at present - all information on the KV 62 'additional rooms' appears in the Entertainment section of the BBC website, not the Science (archaeological) section. My suspicion is that BBC recognises a great deal of this as hype at the moment.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

03.10.2015 : Interview with Nicholas Reeves for the TV Channel CBC Egypt (Englisch).

Greetings, Lutz.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Mamdouh El Damaty in KV57 to make comparisons with KV62 and the locations of the niches for the magic bricks. He is being interviewed in English but the sound is terrible, however it seems the important elements of what he says are towards the end when the sound gets a lot better. He says that before he and Reeves had a look at KV62 he thought the chances of finding anything were 50%, after the examination he now gives it 70% with the probablity of finding at least one hidden chamber.
https://youtu.be/BxBq4mnJAZY
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CAIRO GAZZETTE, (ENGLISH VERSION) October 7th, 2015, POLITICS- ZAHI HAWASS BACK TO PROTECT TUT
In an extraordinary reappointment today, and one week to the day after resignation #3, Hawass stamped his old authority and demanded that Nicholas Reeves proceed with Hawass's own long-conceived plans for a fiber optic invasive exploration of tut's replica tomb.

Hawass stated that he would make future decisions about reopening Tut's original tomb for similar examination ONLY upon production of proofs from Reeve's exploration of Tut's replica tomb.

Hawass reminded his audience that he remained available for openings of tombs, photographs with newly discovered artifacts and babies. Bookings for Bar Mitzvahs after dinner speaking remain available through his agent.

Reeves was unavailable for comment. Smile

Robson
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Reeves had published his hypothesis, Hawass had written a rather ill tempered editorial on his site saying it was all nonsense and generally disparaging Reeves, and he is not alone in that of course....
However, since the visit to KV62 by Reeves and El-Damaty which has produced good news, Hawass seems to have deleted his editorial rant as I now cannot find it. Perhaps he is concerned about being seen as an ill tempered reactionary and behind the curve IF a great discovery is made. And if anything is found I would not be surprised if he, and others, start saying that they knew all the time something was hidden, blah blah blah. I think it better to be enthusiastic about something that may turn to dust, than to be a nay sayer and end up with egg on face. This is a unique event, lets run with it and have fun while it lasts, and if something is found shout hurray, and if nothing, then back to sleep and dream about what may have been.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawass is still getting work on TV - producers seem to like him - and now he is simply introduced as the former Head of Antiquities (as was the case with a show about Cleopatra that aired in the UK this week). I imagine he is already making himself available for the inevitable popular TV documentary where he talks about how close he got etc.
Diorite
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worries me is if they find hidden chambers on the ground penetrating radar, how long it is going to take to do something about it. The tomb robbers aren't going to be very delicate about how they ransack the place. The longer the authorities take opening the rooms, the greater the threat of tomb robbing will be, even if they have to tunnel in from elsewhere.

Heck, I'm worried about tomb robbers trying to get entry before any tests are even done.
A M Street
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...even if they have to tunnel in from elsewhere.

I'm not sure whether that is a threat. Given that the Valley is on limestone and is of course very popular during opening hours it would take a lot of logistics to burrow in at night. For one thing where would you start? And for another where would you put all the spoil? Let alone the noise, drilling or even using a pick would surely arouse suspicion.

I don't know off-hand what the security is like these days, when I was there in the past there seemed a lot of security types floating about. Surely with all the turmoil and robbing that has occurred of late the Governor of Luxor must be aware of the threat in general and particularly to the Valley.

Now I know this is Egypt and money does speak very loud but I think that a lot of jobs would be on the line if anything did happen.
karnsculpture
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the highest-profile dig in Egypt right now with worldwide media interest, it should be well guarded by the government.
Lutz
Pharaoh
Pharaoh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Who Else May Be in King Tut's Tomb?" (Discovery News - Rossella Lorenzi, 15.10.2015)

"Who Else Might Be in Pharaoh Tutankhamun’s Tomb (KV 62, c. 1325 BC)?" (Working Paper at the University of Zurich - Michael E. Habicht / Francesco M. Galassi / Wolfgang Wettengel / Frank J. Rühli, 2015)

Greetings, Lutz.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 7 of 35

Jump to: