Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Depictions of the solar and lunar disks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikon wrote:

The tomb is the night in that for a king the night journey of Ra is shown on it's walls, in a number of variations. The journey begins at the setting of the Sun, the "death" of Ra, and ends dawn, his rebirth, but there is no daytime in the tomb as all the Netherworld books end with Khepri just about to push the Sun up over the eastern horizon. It's rather like Narnia under the White Queen, always winter but never Christmas.

I understand what you are saying but no, it is not only night
(not exclusively night without day).

Ra must be expressed because Ra does not cease to exist.
He enters the underworld where he continues to journey.

The references that were constructed in the tomb account for the duality of nght and day that is caused by the conceptual presence of Ra.

Day and night are not mutually exclusive (in the underworld).

They conceptually coexist in the same space in the tomb even also as myths tell that the sun and Osiris coexist in the same space.

One does not obliterate the other (which is often not considered).

The myths occur simultaneously for reference.
Quote:

Why Tutankhamun had lunar jewelry is not known, and due to the uniqueness of KV62 we do not have the personal jewelry of any other king to compare to see if this was normal, I suspect not because this lunar jewelry seems to have not been worn by him after his name change, and so, if I'm right, probably tied to the general Amarna oddness.

The tomb of Tutankhamun is 'normal' as any other royal tomb in that it was furnished with the necessary items to fulfill its constructed references.

The jewelry is not really personal anymore than he actually used all the walking sticks in the tomb. The items are for informative reference to all who might enter the tomb in a later time (such as Carter).

With or without the jewelry (lunar, solar, references), the day and night aspects were still both referenced in the tomb.

The jewelry (pectorals) in this instance are simply a redundant reference to inform about the presence of night and day in the tomb.

This does not mean that they do not have additional and other significance.

The tomb is the Hall of Two Truths where things can present multiple truths and truthful perspectives.

Seth and Horus, night and day, there's a mummy in the coffin and the mummy is a servant,..

The truths contest and contend to be recognized or to be mistaken.

Seth indicates one possible understanding and Horus represents another about the two truths. Believe Seth (false conclusion) and Horus (good conclusion) loses and vice versa.

I don't want to distract your line of thinking in this thread but will say in relation to it that the burned condition of Tutankhamun's mummy is a constructed reference that indicates the presence of Ra.

(Chris Naunton has a documentary, available on YouTube, in which the chemical process by which the mummy was (accidentally?) cooked is demonstrated.

Where Ra is present so there is day (and apparently effects of heat -- KV40?).

This (Ra, day) is expressed in the tomb and the pectorals are significantly informative references that you might later understand their role in the tomb.

I had not considered the pectorals as you know more about their solar, lunar and linguistic aspects than I do.

But, I immediately knew their relevance when I read your post.

The four solar pectorals can be related to Amenhotep III, Akhenaten, Tutankhamun and Nefertiti.

I only wanted to note that your considerations about the pectorals have valid significance.

The ambiguous solar and lunar references agree with constructed references that I've observed.
Quote:

Cryptography is a thing of course, and they liked to play with their language and symbolism in a very sophisticated manner, but I don't see cryptography as being the reason for all the lunar objects, sometimes the Moon is just the Moon, and even with when crypography is used, we still have lunar objects even if some should be read as solar, or as Horus, whose left eye is the Moon.

Agreed.
ImageOfAten
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems very well thought out. I would have never even thought of comparing the size of the pectorals in an attempt to date the time period Tutankhamun actually wore them in. This is the type of thinking that leads to good new ideas to help answer questions. I wish we had more jewelry examples from other kings to determine if the lunar elements were a common practice or just exclusive to Tutankhamun himself.

maat's theory on the colors of certain objects representing day or night is also an interesting idea. I am not very good at noticing small details in general and often overlook a lot because of it.
maat
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction:
maat wrote:

In the Annex, the three tazze objects (Cater No. 265) are directly on floor of the chamber and white (alabaster) while the cow's head of Hathor (Carter No. 264) is on a base and black because it is shifted (off the floor that is day) into night.

I mistakenly wrote "the Annex" when I meant to note the Treasury.

The three tazze and the cow head of Hathor were in the Treasury.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Mythology and Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: