Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomb of Aper-el (vizier Amenhotep III), Saqqara

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Tomb of Aper-el (vizier Amenhotep III), Saqqara Reply with quote

This article on heritage-key is really worth looking at.
http://heritage-key.com/blogs/malcolmj/archaeovideo-dr-alain-zivie-reveals-treasures-tomb-aper-el

The still photographs of Sandro Vannini are wonderful (as usual) and there is a nice short video featuring Dr Alain Zivie talking about the discovery of the tomb of Aper-el.

The head - now identified as a support for a wig - is an amazing piece. The earrings have always struck me as interesting. There are heads from the workshop of Tuthmose in Amarna that feature very similar earrings.

The cubit rods are nicely preserved as well.

I noticed this on another forum pr kmt (Dutch language forum)
Rozette
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Aper-el and Taweret, Aper-el's wife see :
http://forum.egyptiandreams.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=43600&sid=1d30b68343d58b8a5fa13bedb03a1870

The tomb of Aper-el has been only partially published in preliminary reports and hopefully a book about this very interesting tomb will soon be published in Alain Zivie's book series " Les tombes du Bubasteion Saqqara".

Anneke wrote :
Quote:
The head - now identified as a support for a wig - is an amazing piece. The earrings have always struck me as interesting. There are heads from the workshop of Tuthmose in Amarna that feature very similar earrings.

Nefertiti is also shown wearing large earrings.

SaintGermain
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has taken me since 1990 to get a copy [used] of Zivie's French language book "Decouverte a Saqqarah Le Vizier Oublie". I could never find a vendor for it in the US when it was new or newish and to obtain the book from France was too pricey. No English translation was forthcoming, even though there was a lot of interest in this tomb in America and the UK.

Evidently the book I managed to buy was sold in the US as a result of Alain Zivie having given a lecture there. It was signed by him and the name of the couple who purchased the book was mentioned. This was in 1993.

This is a coffee table size book with nice photos but no shortage of text. One photo is a bit shocking. A part of the tomb is, over two pages [centerfold?] crammed with with wooden structures, coffins and whatnot, perhaps nearly to the ceiling. The rotting wood has no order. It is like some huge piece of machinery just plowed it all into the tomb choc a bloc. To look at all this wood one would never get the impression that this was a scarce material in Egypt. What was it all from? I haven't yet read the book as it only arrived by post yesterday and my eyes are acting up. But it's my understanding from having read something online that there were only three persons buried in this Saqqarah tomb--Aperel, his wife Taweret, and one of their sons, an adult male named Huy. [Amenhotep after the pharaoh, the third by that name, who reigned when the tomb was cut.] Tawaret had three coffins but the wood was not all coffins. Some looks like beams for shoring up the tomb so that it did not collapse upon the ancient excavators. This heaped up wood did not look in good shape but some wooden items were well-preserved--like a fancy shabti box and some cubit rods. When there was carving, it was admirably crafted.

So much alabaster! Some of the vessels sustained a bit of damage but stone is stone and the various items make a beautiful, largely intact collection. Some interesting pottery held up well, too.

So I look forward to reading the book. French is pas de probleme for the old comte de Saint Germain. If I notice anything of special 'interest in the text, I'll return to this thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Pyramids, Tombs, & Monuments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: