Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opet Festival to be restaged

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Opet Festival to be restaged Reply with quote

If anybody does not know, then the second of four major events in Egypt will be held on Thursday 25th November. The event will showcase Luxor and Egyptian history, with the focus on a restaging of the Opet Festival, complete with sacred barques processing down the Avenue of Sphinxes from Karnak to the Luxor temple, and activity on the Nile.

The barques of Amun, Mut and Khonsu have been recreated, and each will start from their respective temples before joining at the start of the processional way, then processing together to Luxor. There will be other elements, but I guess we will have to wait for the day to see what it all looks like. I think this will be better than the mummy parade, which was broadcast live in HD and with English narration on the presidential youtube channel, so I'm guessing this will be to.

https://www.youtube.com/c/egyptianpresidency

The barque of Khonsu outside of his temple
irt-akhu
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any plans to bring back the Tekh festival? That one might attract tourists.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly would, and the festival of Bastet.

But, we know that won't happen, but there is one that could, and would be spectacular, and that's the Festival of Neith, where the population came out at night and held up a light, very modern in a way.
maat
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How precisely accurate will be the equipment that is used in terms of size and colors?
Is there any such information?
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately there are many existing depictions of sacred barques and shrines, and actual examples, on a smaller scale, in the tomb of Tutankhamun. The reproductions look just about as perfect as possible, except not being made of gold or gilded with gold. Gold would have been the overwhelmingly prominent colour, and where other colour was present it would have been mostly red and blue, and mostly confined to the freize of uraei. On the reproductions you can see winged sundisks, which while left all gold, may, IMO, have had the disk in red with the two supporting uraei in red, blue and gold. Tutankhamun's shrines cannot be a guide here as they do not have winged sundisks, which are more of a temple thing, not a tomb thing.

These shrines are comparitively simple, it get's more complicated with the river going barques that these ones would have been carried onto. On the temple walls these are large and ornate with far more going on, and would have looked magnificent. Apparently these shrines will be carried from Karnak to Luxor, and then transported back on the Nile. But this is a bit vague except for it being known that there will be some activity on the Nile involving craft of various types. I don't expect to see a full scale replica of a sacred river barque though, but, we'll see next Thursday, and maybe a surprise or two.
maat
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds interesting.
Maybe it can become more precise in later years even to have full-scale replicas.
Let's see what they do with it.
Thanks for the information.
Ikon
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starts at 19:30. I presume this is Egyptian time, so 17:30 GMT

I guess that by the time anybody reads this it will be all over anyway Smile
maat
Priest
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The production is certainly a modern interpretation.
I don't quite know what to make of it for any value as a historical reference.
Maybe it will get people to read more about ancient Egypt?
Regardless, good on Egypt for putting on the production.

If can be good for tourism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: