Go to the Egyptian Dreams shop
Egyptian Dreams
Ancient Egypt Discussion Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amarna family tree
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herper
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Amarna family tree Reply with quote

with all the debate and new info on Tuts family tree I wish someone could take the new family tree and post it with pics of the mummies as well as names and where they were found. I have been reading articles all over the web since the results were released and the number of unlabeled mummy pics is enough to drive a person mad. I remember reading somewhere that a project was being started to photograph all possible royal mummies and chart where they were found, who they are thought to be, who they might be, and any examination/testing results reports. Granted its a huge undertaking, and I wish I could remember when and where I read about it. It seems such a shame that any mummy be left in a tomb without some kind of modern preservation/ protection put in place. Personally, I think the ancients would want their bodies preserved and protected more then left in the tombs. Just my 2 cents
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of a simplified tree:

I. Tuthmosis I and Mutnofret (no known mummies for either)
were parents of Tuthmosis II.

II. Tuthmosis II (Possibly this mummy from TT 320) and Queen Isis (no known mummy) were the parents of Tuthmosis III

III. Tuthmosis III (Likely this mummy from TT 320 in Deir el Bahari) and Queen Isis (no known mummy) were the parents of Amenhotep II.

IV Amenhotep II (Likely this mummy found in KV 35) and Queen Tiaa (no known mummy) were the parents of Tuthmosis IV.

IV. Tuthmosis IV (This mummy found in KV 35) and Queen Mutemwia (no known mummy) were the parents of Amenhotep III.

V. Amenhotep III ( Usually identified as this mummy from KV 35) and Queen Tiye (Now identified as this mummy from KV 35 were the parents of Akhenaten.

Tiye was the daughter of Yuya found in KV 46 and Tuya found in KV 46

VI. Akhenaten and the unidentified Younger Lady are the parents of Tutankhamen (using the interpretation from the article)
Akhenaten is here taken to be The mummy found in KV 55, and the Younger Lady was found in KV 35. The mummy of the Younger Lady has in the past been identified as Nefertiti, Sitamun, or as some other unknown royal woman. She was a full sister of KV 55.

VI Tutankhamen was of course found in KV 62. He was married to Queen Ankesenamun and her mummy may have been found in KV 21 if she is indeed the mother of the 2 babies found in Tutankhamen's tomb
The most thorough info about Tut can be found on the Griffith institute page:
http://www.griffith.ox.ac.uk/gri/4tut.html

There are no really good pictures of the KV 21A mummy. The picture form the CT scan used in the research shows a body without a head.
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for discussion purposes only

I am interested in working my head around this too... but I need to think with visuals. Excuse the sitamun info plastered over the image, I am still playing with the possibility of her being offspring of Iaret
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice visual aid Very Happy

Given the assumptions: Aye is the father of Nefertiti, Aye is the father of Nakhtmin. Tey is not the mother of of Nefertiti.
Speculation: A lady named Iuy is thought to be the mother of Nakhtmin and may then be Aye's first wife and mother of Nefertiti?

Comment: The double line between two people indicates a marriages and the two fetusses were not married to each other.

Comment 2: The marriage between Mutnodjemet and Horemheb should probably be a dotted line as well.

Comment 3: You have Aye married to a daughter of Iaret. I doubt that very much.
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'scuze me, I am feeling a bit an*l today. Feel free to post/suggest additions, removals, changes whatever...

Makes me feel like I am contributing something Twisted Evil
anneke
Queen of Egypt
Queen of Egypt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Nicely done.

I like it the way it is. I think that adding the marriages of A III to his daughters to the mix for instance may create a family tree that looks more like a brillo pad....
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nefertum
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an off the wall question.

We know that there was one Ankesenpaaten/Ankesenamun, and there is evidence which suggests there may have been two Ankesenpaatens.

If there indeed were two royal ladies with the same name, do we know to which one Tutankhamun was married?
Osiris II
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we know for a fact that Tutankhamun was married to the daughter of Akhnaten and nefertiti. Do we know the parentage of the OTHER Ankhsenamun?
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kharis
Citizen
Citizen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Yuya was a brother of the king's mother Mutemwiya, why was it necessary for Amenhotep III to produce the artifacts "announcing" his new wife, Tye in terms which made her seem a "commoner" he had chosen for her charms and intellectual aptitudes?

From reading I did some time ago, I seem to remember that Amenhotep III produced a whole series of scarabs etc at the time of his marriage and the sources I read seemed to indicate that was unusual.
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to defend any relationships, I am happy just to keep on developing the graphing based on the input of others, but just to offer a response...

Could AIII's 'announcing' of his new wife in terms of being a 'commoner' not be interpreted as a reference to her (possible) Mitanni heritage, ie; she was not of egyptian royalty? I am not sure about the use of 'commoner' but all things are relative, I remember Diana being sold to the public as being a 'commoner' when she married into the UK royals, however I am not sure how 'common' she actually was. Maybe someone can add...
freeTinker
Scribe
Scribe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neseret
Vizier
Vizier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freeTinker wrote:

I don't think that you can assume Nefertiti is Smenhkare as the two have different ways of expressing the /anx xpr.w ra/ throne name. As Allen (1994) points out, one is definitely a female ruler, while Djeser-kheperure Smenkhkare is attested at Amarna as a male, with his name attached as king to Meritaten's as queen. He also appears in a few other reliefs, one most notably from Hermopolis.

Further, Neferneferuaten-tasherit is not a questioned daughter of Akhenaten and Nefertiti: she is the 4th in line after Ankhsenpaaten, and is so expressed in many texts at Amarna, as the daughter of Akhenaten as /sAt nsw nt xt.f mrt.f/ "daughter of the king of his body whom he loves." Neferneferuaten-tasherit was probably born about Year 5 or 6 of Akhenaten's reign. She is represented, as I recall, only at Amarna (Akhetaten).

HTH.

Doctoral Candidate
Oriental Institute
Oriental Studies
Doctoral Programme [Egyptology]
Oxford University
Oxford, United Kingdom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Egyptian Dreams Forum Index -> Evidence from Amarna All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: